Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2016, 04:12 PM
Friend

Default Tura Color Life Premium 400 DX

Hi again everyone,
I bought a canon 1000f a few months back and got a load of film with it. Not sure if it would still be any good but I thought I would give it a go. I know that the Tura Color Life Premium is a Colour film but I intend to develop it in Ilford ilfosol 3. I intend to do this with the Kodak Gold 200 also because I beleive this can be done? However I can't seem to find any developing times, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Luke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480349561217-271405281.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2603   Click image for larger version

Name:	14803495865731787689038.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	2604  
Old 28th November 2016, 05:25 PM
Friend

Tura was a in house re branded film, I think either Fuji or Agfa, It must be qiute old, 5 or 10 years so maybe give a roll a go, and see what happens, I have never develped color as B/W so can't help you there,
Richard
Old 28th November 2016, 07:57 PM
Friend

Massive Dev gives 21.00mins at 20c in Ilfosol 3 1+9 for XP2. It is a chromogenic B&W film which is meant to be developed in C41 colour chemistry. You could give that a try. I have developed colour film to B&W negatives before, but it was years ago and I've no idea where I got the times, etc from. The results are not very good, but they were printable.
Alex.
Old 28th November 2016, 07:57 PM
Friend

I have read up on developing colour negs in b&w chems after finding the quid-a-roll Agfa Poundland stuff, but the results are reputedly poor so I never bothered.
Old 29th November 2016, 07:17 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I have read up on developing colour negs in b&w chems after finding the quid-a-roll Agfa Poundland stuff, but the results are reputedly poor so I never bothered.
For a bit of fun, I've been trying to nail this film in BW Chemicals and have had some good results. The best combo I've had so far is with my Olympus Trip using Tetenal Paranol S mixed at 1:50 for 10mins at 20c. The negatives look non-existant until you hold them up to the light, they scanned quite well with just a little tweaking to bring them on a bit. I've read elsewhere that you should use an Ilford HP5 Recipe for Cross Processing Colour in BW Chems, but this didn't work out for me, way too dark, but had and interesting colour twinge to them.
Good luck with any experiments and be sure to post your results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	col199.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2605   Click image for larger version

Name:	col211.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2606   Click image for larger version

Name:	col200.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2607  
Old 29th November 2016, 08:10 PM
Friend

I've just read my earlier post again, and I'm not sure it said what I intended!
What I was trying to say was that XP2 is a film that is meant to be developed using the same C41 process as Luke's colour films. The Massive Dev chart gives a suggested time of 21minutes at 20c when using Ilfosol 3 diluted 1+9 as an alternative. I believe this is the B&W developer Luke wanted to use. As I understand things,
all colour films which use the C41 process are developed for the same time at the same temperature, regardless of make, size or speed. On that basis, trying the suggested time/temp for XP2 in Ilfosol 3 should at least be a good starting point for any film designed for C41 processing.
I hope that makes more sense!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29th November 2016, 10:16 PM
Friend

Well, in the interests of science, and having nothing better to do, I went out to my car and retrieved a long expired roll of Kodak Gold 200 which has been carefully stored for 3-4 years since exposure in the glovebox. The plan was to attempt to develop it in B&W chemistry. I didn't have Ilfosol 3, but I did have some stock ID11. I consulted the Massive Dev chart to find that the XP2 time was 14mins at 22c. As luck would have it, the developer was already at 22c. I extended the development time as the ID11 had already developed several films. I used a water stop and a standard fix of 5mins. After processing, I could see recognisable images. I decided to re-fix as the overall appearance was very dense. I'm not sure this helped, but I proceeded to wash as normal. The negatives are hanging up to dry. I think they will print, but will require long exposures. This film broke several rules by being developed years after exposure, and being subjected to very poor storage conditions, but still produced images. I can tell from first sight that the final image quality will be nothing like a B&W film developed in appropriate chemistry, but I do expect to achieve something. I will try to print them and report back.
Alex.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:19 PM
Friend

You do yourself down, Alex. What you said in your first post made perfect sense to me. I was initially surprised at the long time but given that a C41 film has relatively little silver to work on and will be thin in B&W developers then the time makes sense

I just hope that Luke isn't expecting too much from his experiment. I am certainly interested in seeing a print from his B&W processed negs.

Mike
Old 29th November 2016, 10:28 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike. I'm not against experimentation, but having seen my own results tonight, the films may be better used as intended for colour prints, and processed by a commercial lab. They may not produce the best colour, but should still be usable.
Alex.
Old 30th November 2016, 10:38 PM
Friend

Hi All, thanks for all your suggestions I intend to develop the film later with a view to testing on the enlarger on Friday when I finally get some print developer and paper. I will develop using the same times as xp2 and post results after.
Again thanks for the help
Luke
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies