Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th August 2012, 05:21 PM
Friend

Default Last minute Lakes

Due to an unusual coincidence of circumstances I have found myself with a few days spare this week, unrestriced by wife and/or child, with nothing to do. This happens so infrequently to me that I am paralysed by indecision.

I'm thinking of heading up to the Lakes tomorrow and spending a few days exploring. I will probably head up on the fells for sunrise/set to eat into my supply of Velvia, but I will have to find something to occupy my time in the daylight hours inbetween.

I'm not tremendously familiar with a lot of the Lakes, so I'd appreciate any suggestions of any locations suitable for colour or monochrome work during the day, you know, places that you don't need the magic light of dawn or dusk. Interesting slate quarries, woodland, waterfalls, I'm open to anything really.

Or failing that, any good pubs will do nicely!

Cheers
Dave
Old 7th August 2012, 09:18 PM
Friend

Ravenglass (on the coast), Stanley Ghyll Force (waterfall), and joining the two: The Ravenglass and Eskdale railway.

A couple of lith prints from a weekend visit last year, with locations:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_mo...7627594253537/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_mo...7627594253537/

Edit: While there I stayed at The King George IV in Eskdale with some friends. Very welcoming place. Our opinion was only enhanced by the presence of an all weekend beer festival :-)

Ian
Old 7th August 2012, 10:11 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Hodge Close near Coniston, boat trip round Derwentwater getting off at the various jetties, Coniston copper mines remains, boathouse at the east end of Ullswater, Wast Water and screes, Buttermere round lake walk, the Gondola on Coniston Water, Haverthwaite and Lakeside railway and boat trip on Windermere.

Really it depends the area where you are staying or how much travelling you are prepared to do, especially at this time of year with the school holidays on. I would try to avoid Bowness, Amblesdie, Grasmere village and Keswick. All will be very busy. The walk round Grasmere and Rydal Water taking in Loughrigg Terrace is OK. Head for Elterwater and walk down to Skelwith Bridge along the river. The Brittania Inn at Elterwater is good.

Furness Abbey ruins in Barrow are OK but quieter wil be Shap Abbey.

Bill
Old 8th August 2012, 08:01 AM
Friend

Thanks for the suggestions, very useful.

I don't mind driving around a bit, assuming I can avoid being stuck behind caravans or mobile homes. The plan is to maybe stop at a few YHAs and maybe do a circuit around. Those coniston coppermines look interesting, so I could head there, then round to the YHA at honister via buttermere, that sort of thing.

I'm keen to avoid the crowds but anecdotally I've heard that since the olympics are on the lakes has been quieter than usual, the theory being that the foreign tourists who's normal itinerary is London plus one other place (typically the Lakes, Stonehenge or Edinburgh) are staying away because of the sport.
Old 8th August 2012, 08:19 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

A couple of weeks ago we went to Hill Top and that was heaving with Japanese but it was a Tuesday. Apparently the standard Japanese holiday itinerary means that they arrive there every Tuesday according to the NT guy. I was at Fell Foot last Friday and that was very busy as well but Hayes Garden World and Lakeland Plastics (don't ask) were relatively quiet.

Best of luck with your travels and I hope you get some good shots.

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies