Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2010, 08:32 AM
Friend

Default The Emergency Black Bag Tip!

The Emergency Black Bag Tip!

Over the years I have found it handy to keep a large'ish light-proof black paper bag in a handy place in the darkroom. It has to be somewhere where you can find it easily in the dark and near where you load your films. The idea being when / if one of your films jams in the spiral, and if you have to take the spiral apart to release the film, you can retrieve the bag and pop the film inside. Several folds of the top of the bag will make it light-proof. The lights then can then be switched on and the spiral or a new tank can be sorted out before you start again. I have found my handy black bag has saved a few jammed film situations over the years !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 12th May 2010, 09:12 AM
Friend

Thanks for the tip, it would make life a lot easier if you can switch on the light instead of trying to fiddle around in the dark,Richard
Old 13th July 2010, 07:02 PM
Friend

I have a 35mm bulk canister I use when I struggle with film to get it into a reel - I have to remove the film from the reel though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whereverimayroam/
Old 14th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Friend

Sounds good to me. Presumably a black bag used for 8x10 paper or larger would be ideal. Maybe even a 5x7 bag would suffice?

Must remember this one. It happened once with 120 film and it was a nightmare. I think I had to remove it all then put it into the nearest lightproof container which was the tank minus the reel but it was messy by comparison to a black bag

Mike.
Old 14th July 2010, 04:14 PM
Friend

I don't know if a heavy duty black 'bin' bag will do? - plenty of room if it does
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Friend

I have been in the darkroom today and before I started I checked to see if my emergency black bag was there there - and it was I use a 12x16 paper bag so it is large enough to put most things in. Fortunately today it wasn't needed

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th July 2010, 09:31 PM
Friend

I have processed many thousands of films over the years (mainly E6 in Proco handlines) I have always had an extra tank (with light tight lid) on my loading bench, all films in their spirals or hangers and in their appropriate cages are then held in this tank whilst final pre-processing checks are undertaken, obviously the tank can also be used for any emergencies.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:55 PM
Friend

I have run into difficulties in the past especially with 120 film sticking, usually caused by a small amount of moisture on one of the spirals grooves. I now dry the spiral with a hairdryer before spooling the film, even if the spiral is dry.
If I do run into difficulty I put the central tube in the tank and carefully place the coiled film over it, then I fit the light tight lid and can safely put the light on.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies