Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2012, 07:51 AM
Friend

I agree with Steve, you did your Risk Assessment and could have politely told told the Steward so, however the fact that there are greater hazards nearby does not absolve you of taking care of those that you may be creating.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:06 AM
Friend

When I used so Called ''modern looking'' slr's I got a lot of notice taken of me when doing street photography,now I use older cameras such as folders or TLR's Etc folk still notice me, and want to talk about the cameras I use, but I never have a refusal, or any problems, but again, Jersey is a small Island, and I am pretty well known, but in general we seem to have a more relaxed attitude to life, I often set up a tripod on Jersey NT properties,and Jersey Heritage sites, I use flash as I like, never a problem, if I am using a heavier MF camera I use a Monopod inside NT and Heritage properties, again never a problem, the only time I need to be careful is around Children, always ask the parents permission, I very rarely get a refusal, but that is the times we live in.

The only time I had a H@S problem was in the main Shopping precint in St Helier, I had set up a Tri[od, my Silver legged manfrotto, stands out like a sore thumb, but an Honary police oficer,( we have 2 police forces here, one the paid police force and one an Honnary system which is the olkdest in the world), and the officer told me if I wanted to use a tripod in a public place under H@S rules I needed to put reflective tape around the legs so the public could see it.He wasn't worried about anybody hurting themselves on it as long as I put reflective tape on the silver legs,
Richard
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
If you look as though you are supposed to be there, you will be ignored.
Oh yeah, learned that a long time ago.
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:55 PM
Friend

Richard the difference in attitude must have something to do with small, independent islands. The Isle of Man is very similar. I never had a problem in Douglas Museum with a camera when in the U.K. "photography forbidden" notices in such places is the rule and strictly enforced.

Not just the museum either. You can literally "feel" the extra freedom when you walk around.

Mike
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:30 PM
Friend

Mike, same here, last Sunday it was very wet, and I went to our local Museum, and walked around openly with my Rolleiflex and flash and taking pictures, there is never a problem over here, and many of our visitors are openly surprised when, upon asking if photography is allowed, are met with Certainly, we encourage it from the staff, also in other heritage sites, both heritage and NT,
Richard
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:12 PM
Friend

I took my son to RAF museum hendon and I was taking photos with a flash gun on my camera and a museum worker stopped me and said no flash policy I asked why and first he said that the flash can cause damage to some of the older planes ,when I pointed out that the luftwaffe could not damage these planes he said it discolors the paint work and then he addid, and also affects other peoples enjoyment.
years later I was in a museum of art and was looking at some paintings and a woman used her camera with flash to take a picture and a museum worker said to her no flash as this can cause damage to the painting just then I remembered what happened all them years ago and thought I bet that man at hendon once worked here
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:50 PM
Friend

Overheard a comment from a museum worker that the reason for a "no photo" policy was down to copyright - The painting in question was a large canvas by some guy called Tintoretto. As he died in 1594, one would have thought copyrights expired long ago.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:18 AM
Friend

Hi All

Steve,

“The basic gist is, whatever is in a public place, should be free for capture. Unless of course it holds some intellectual property to it, that is not really allowed for publication.”

Actually the test cases around the world in general have shown that the judges accept that if you are on “public property” in other words open to public traffic and occupancy what you photograph is yours to use as you see fit. In other words if someone wishes to protect “copy right” “intellectual property” then as the owner they must keep it out of public view, there is no “intellectual property” rights on a building street frontage, for instance.

Regards,

Rob
Old 8th June 2012, 05:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hale View Post
there is no “intellectual property” rights on a building street frontage, for instance.
Actually, buildings can have copyright protection. But the only way to infringe that copyright is to copy it. i.e. make a similar building.

A photograph of a building is not a copy and therefore cannot be a copyright infringement.

Steve.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:34 AM
Friend

hang on what about the bio hazard, egg sandwiches and a flask of tea ha ha ha
or am I the only old git who takes a packed lunch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies