Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th December 2011, 09:20 PM
Friend

Default 5x4 with a 6x7 back!

I have a project I want to do using 6x7 instead of my usual 6x6. I can't afford a new 6x7 camera but I have a Wista 45DX, which I rarely use, and a 6x7 roll film back for it.
The only LF lenses I have are a 150mm f/5.6 Symmar Convertible (to f/12 265) and a Schneider Super Angulon f/8 90mm.

If I use the 6x7 back on the Wista with these lenses how am I affecting the focal length or the angle of view (or both)?

I'm confusing myself here so any help appreciated.

Tony
Old 19th December 2011, 09:44 PM
Friend

Tony, I would say the 90 is about the equivalent of a slightly wide to standard on 6x7 and the 150 is the equivalent of a short telephoto, about 75-80mm if you were using a 35mm format.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 19th December 2011, 09:47 PM
Friend

A 150mm lens is still a 150mm, but on a smaller format you have a crop factor. This chart gives equivalents:
home.globalcrossing.net/~zilch0/tools/Lenses5.xls

Funnily enough I'm cobbling together a 4x5 with a 6x7 back right now. My 135mm Tessar will effectively show the equivalent of a 78mm lens on 6x7. Exact angle of view varies with makes and models.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:04 PM
Friend

Not to be to blunt, a 150mm on 6x7 gives you the same angle of view as a 150mm on 6x7....

best thing is tape off a 56x68mm rectangle in the middle of the ground glass of your wista and there you go, you can see what you'll be getting. As said above the 90mm will act as a (dark) normal lens, and the 150 a "short tele" (even though its not a tele, it makes more sense to say this than "a short long lens").
Old 19th December 2011, 10:15 PM
Friend

http://lensn2shutter.com/35mmchart.html
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 20th December 2011, 06:19 AM
Friend

Thanks for the replies Trevor and Sandeha - thanks to your links I understand now.

Tony

Last edited by TonyMiller; 20th December 2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Putting it bluntly, I'd probably be banned for my original reply!
Old 20th December 2011, 08:06 AM
Friend

I'm with DaveP on this one. It doesn't matter how much you reduce the film size on a 5x4, the image size stays the same for any given lens. Effectively you are simple cropping to fit the smaller negative format, so just fit and focus your lens and use a card mask to judge the effect.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:23 AM
Friend

As all three replies have said, the 90mm on a 6x7 is considered a 'normal', the 150 a tele of some description - that's the answer I was looking for.
Perhaps my question was too simplistic for the knowledgeable ones here so apologies for asking!

Tony
Old 20th December 2011, 09:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
As all three replies have said, the 90mm on a 6x7 is considered a 'normal', the 150 a tele of some description - that's the answer I was looking for.
Perhaps my question was too simplistic for the knowledgeable ones here so apologies for asking!
Why are you apologising?

Please remember that your question and the replies will be read by many others besides yourself, some will find the thread helpful, and some won't; it's the latter group that you will have helped by raising the point.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies