Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2022, 07:22 PM
Friend

Default New camera (to me)

I mentioned in another section about Christmas Presents that I was getting my own this year and it arrived on Wednesday. An almost mint - and I mean mint Bronica SQ-A with waste level finder & 80mm/2.8PS lens . I won't say how much it cost but it was lower than anything else I have seen for a long time. It came complete with a genuine Bronica two part case which probably explains why it is in such good condition. It also has a proper Bronica neck strap

The only real blemish I can find is where the two claws attach the back onto the body. And that happens on all bodies when they get used.

Tomorrow the weather is still quite mild but the promise of sun between 9am and 3pm will give me the chance to get out and try it for real.
Old 1st January 2022, 09:16 PM
Friend

Sounds like you've scored on a great piece of kit, John. Have fun!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd January 2022, 12:54 AM
Friend

Congratulations John -that's a camera I've always wanted. Still looking however.
Old 2nd January 2022, 08:15 AM
Friend

I've built up a fairly large SQ outfit over the years and found it a great piece of kit to use for all sorts of photography (in a studio in my case), simple and straightforward in operation.
I find locating the two little slots at top when attaching a back to be fiddly at times especially with a prism finder in place, I invariably remove the finder to see them better.
Another niggle is the dark slide which must be fully pushed in otherwise if only slightly out and not visibly so the shutter will still fire.
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:19 AM
Friend

I sold a few SQ backs last year. I had bought quite a few when I got the first camera, but realised that you don’t actually need more than one or two, unless you’re working professionally.
One thing to watch when buying them is the light seals. There are quite a few foam strips inside the back, and they aren’t all easy to get at. I believe that Jon Goodman sold a kit at one time, but I don’t think it is currently available. I’ve replaced them successfully myself from bulk materials, but a proper kit would make things much easier.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13th January 2022, 10:15 AM
Friend

A waste level finder: is that for plumbing the depths?

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 13th January 2022, 10:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusmumriken View Post
A waste level finder: is that for plumbing the depths?
I think it warns you when you're exposing incorrectly so as to avoid wasting film.
Old 13th January 2022, 12:06 PM
Friend

Default In use

I have been a bit slow off the starting blocks to get to use the SQa. Not all my fault it, was the waiting for film to arrive in the post. Anyway I have used a FP3+ and a Foma 100. Apart from wasting a couple of frames the negatives were all well exposed which also proved my elderly MInolta Autometer 3 meter is still accurate.

I did find the lens does seem to be prone to flare if pointed anywhere near the sun, but that may be down to the filter - it is only a single coated version even though I used quite a deep lens hood. I now have an MC filter so we will see.

The waist level finder is a dream to use with the size of the screen. It doesn't matter to me if the composition is back to front,if I don't like the composition when I print it, I can always reverse the negative.

What took me aback a bit was the colour of the developer after developing the Foma film which I had never used before. It was poured away (ID11 diluted 1to1) and it was bright green, the same shade as a Granny Smith Apple! I assume it was the anti halation layer. No problems but a bit of a surprise.

Last edited by John King; 13th January 2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 13th January 2022, 12:46 PM
Friend

I use the Minolta Autometer and find it accurate despite it never tallying with my Westons. With the Bronica I now mainly use the metering finders which are equally accurate.
Never had a problem with the image being reversed except the first time I panned with it.
Old 13th January 2022, 06:46 PM
Friend

Default Minolta Autometer 3

I have had it for 3 or 4 years and not used it for a while. It came from Mr Cad in London and I didn't pay a lot for it. I think he was having an 'off day'! I think it cost me something like £70 for it complete. It came with the incident light dome and the 5 degree spot attachment all in the original cases. I have seen the spot attachment for sale separately for around £50

The only thing I find awkward with it are the buttons on the front which are too easily changed and it only takes a light touch to change the ISO setting for Exp values whatever when you are not taking notice

Also there is no way of turning it off except to wait the 10 seconds or so for it to close down itself. Then in my bag it can easily turn on again, but still it is a damn good meter.

It matches my Nikon F100 quite closely and about a stop out with my Weston V. Even that old girl still has a lot of life in it.

Last edited by John King; 13th January 2022 at 06:50 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies