Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2012, 08:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
Was listing some of my wife's maternity clothes on ebay at the weekend (yes, we're making an assumption we wont have a third....) - is it my imagination or was it always a 10% commission!!! Or has it increased recently?

A customer once asked us why we dont use ebay - this is probably the answer!
Ebay/paypal are thieving b*******

I won't use them anymore and closed my accounts with them.
Old 22nd May 2012, 04:00 PM
Friend

I have a couple of items going through their system then I'm closing my ebay account. The biggest gripe I have is their relationship with Paypal - don't know how they get away with it - and the way they treat sellers. eBay have just become too greedy.
I may also close my Paypal account - I don't see they offer any more 'protection' than a credit card does.

Tony
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:13 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
The biggest gripe I have is their relationship with Paypal - don't know how they get away with it
They get away with it because eBay inc owns PayPal. So they get their cut twice.

Bill
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:15 PM
Friend

its amazing how much a electronic boot sale can make .
when you go to a boot sale you barter the price down and on ebay you barter the price up, and you don't even see and feel what you are buying .
as with a lot of modern day electric technology they get a simple product and re design it to be very complicated and charge a fortune for it .
all this modern junk they sell us can be compared to the turntable v cd player one has a motor and a stylus and the other has a laser and motors and tonnes of electronics all to produce a noise .
the other thing is when you look at the average price of say a camera on ebay ,a lot of the time you can buy it cheaper from a shop and get a guarantee.
people get bidding fever and get sucked in by a false sense of security.

what I don't understand is if you start selling loads of goods on ebay, do you have to pay tax ,and are you a business
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:35 PM
Friend

what I don't understand is if you start selling loads of goods on ebay, do you have to pay tax ,and are you a business[/QUOTE]

HMRC are currently carrying out a thematic exercise on "on line traders" and chasing them up for unpaid tax. Odd sales of private stuff should be OK but if anyone is trading and not declaring the income - beware - the tax man cometh....
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWaller View Post
what I don't understand is if you start selling loads of goods on ebay, do you have to pay tax ,and are you a business

HMRC are currently carrying out a thematic exercise on "on line traders" and chasing them up for unpaid tax. Odd sales of private stuff should be OK but if anyone is trading and not declaring the income - beware - the tax man cometh....[/QUOTE]

It drives me nuts how HMRC are happy to chase individuals for petty amounts in HMRC terms, but will happily let big business cheat their way out of millions of revenue.

All to do with political tide at any given time.

Neil
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:06 PM
Friend

This thread has wandered away from a subject that was little to do with film and darkroom work but may have been of interest to some of us into a bit of a rant that most certainly has no place here; so I hope you understand why I have closed the thread.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies