Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st May 2020, 08:55 AM
Friend

Default 6x4.5 portrait lens

With even more time in partial lock down I'm considering getting my home studio stuff out of mothballs and having another go.

Been a long time since it has seen the light of day, so could do with at least testing,

I think I'm right in saying that as a rule of thumb, the lens you use should be 2x the diagonal size of the negative, so on a 6x4.5 (if my dodgy maths is right) that's a 150.

I only have small rooms (4m sq) with furniture in them which I will have to rearrange and work around, 150 seems a bit big for my situation.

Any help, advice and opinions on this most welcome.

Ian
Old 31st May 2020, 09:06 AM
Friend

I have a 100mm Super Takumar for my Spotmatics, but a 75mm would be nicer in cranmped space.

For 645 I would suggest something around 120mm, but then I often shoot with a 45mm on 645 or just the standard 80mm.

Ian
Old 31st May 2020, 09:21 AM
Friend

150 in 645 equals 90mm in 35mm, which is pretty much perfect for portraits, but if room is tight then perhaps a 120, (75) or 135( 85) might be better
Richard
Old 31st May 2020, 10:16 AM
Friend

hi Ian what camera are you using
Old 31st May 2020, 10:33 AM
Friend

The 105 fitted to 6x9 bellows cameras in the past was useful for portraits, if the camera had a 6x4.5 mask. My elderly Bessa (just post-war and given to me by my father in 1962) is an example. Though on the short side, that focal length might just do.

Are you using a rollfilm back on a LF camera?
Old 31st May 2020, 10:59 AM
Friend

In a small space 150mm on 645 will good for tight head and shoulders, but might make it hard to just step back to include more of the subject.
On the rare occasions I've done portraits on 6x6 I found the 135 gave a pleasing rendering and still allowed a bit of flexibility in working distance.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:03 AM
Friend

I've just done some outdoor 8x10" portraits and I was struck by 2 things in particular; firstly, how difficult it was to get proper tight shots even just head and shoulders and more positively, how much of a relatively short lens you could get away with for everything else.
So I suppose it all depends on how much you want in view, or that your gear and physical surroundings will allow you; all the way from a tight head shot to a full length portrait, standing or sitting.

You will definitely get something nice with your 150 in this format but I wouldn't necessarily rule-out working with shorter focal-lengths either.

What did you have in mind?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 31st May 2020, 11:09 AM
Friend

If space is limited by room size, as it is in most homes, you can set up the camera in an adjacent room or hallway to get a bit more distance. You tend to get better images from a longer lens, although anything over the standard should work.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31st May 2020, 11:39 AM
Friend

on my hasselblads I use a Sonnar CF 150mm F4 with a 16 extension tube ,or a 50mm F4 Distagon CF lens to fill the frame up ,a 150mm and a 50mm can also be used with 645 ....On my phaseone 645 I use mostly for portraits the mamiya Sekor D 645 macro 120mm F4 lens ,and I get very sharp crisp images and I can shoot from a couple of inches to infinity ,where ever I am I can focus on the subject .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 31st May 2020, 11:58 AM
Friend

Ian, yes there are supposedly 'better' and 'more suitable' lens that have been recommended since whenever, but I have taken portraits with much smaller lens in the past, when conditions, like a small space called for it.

Even wide angles can work, if you don't get too close - unless you want maybe some exaggerated features? These can be good though, with maybe some heavy side lighting.

I've taken plenty of portraits on a 'standard' lens, both on 35mm and 6 x 6, which the sitters were more than happy with.

Have fun and experiment!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies