Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2020, 01:26 PM
Friend

Default Photo equipment from 'the old days'. :)

I love browsing photographic equipment, and still make the odd purchase here and there for older bits of equipment, most of which I put into use.

At the opposite end, I now have one led safe-light that is brighter than two of my older Paterson ones, and love that technology is still helping out us darkroom workers, even if it's indirectly.

But having just seen an amazingly ornate darkroom oil lamp, from way back when, I will never curse that my darkroom is not bright enough or that my negatives are too dense to barely see:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-R...T/114006014034

Terry S
Old 28th October 2020, 03:50 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Amazing as you say as is the price!! As with Terry I like to see photographic things that I buy put to use. I don't think I would really be wanting to make life more difficult with this as my d/r safelight!!

Mike
Old 28th October 2020, 04:17 PM
Friend

I too enjoy photo equipment from the goo old days of photography, although for me it must be working, but it is a while now since I bought any old equipment, running out of room, but as for this oil safe light, not for me, I way prefer my Patterson safelight's, but the idea of an LED light is tempting. How the photographers of way back produced what were wonderful images is sometimes beyond me,
Richard
Old 29th October 2020, 09:13 AM
Friend

Terry, where did you get your LED safelight from. As I get older my eyes seem to need more illumination in the darkroom.
Old 29th October 2020, 02:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulographic View Post
Terry, where did you get your LED safelight from. As I get older my eyes seem to need more illumination in the darkroom.
Like many on here, I bought mine (and am about to buy another), on good old ebay uk, for just a few pounds (pay now more!) including p/p.

Just looking now, there are a lot more sellers selling them than when I got mine. When buying, my general thoughts are buy cheapest of the same product on offer by others; buy from the uk if you want it quickly and don't mind a small price difference; and check out the feedback - they may be cheapest but will you get the item?!?!

Terry S
Old 29th October 2020, 04:23 PM
Friend

I am not convinced that it is a darkroom lamp.

I have seen similar red oil lamps in Christian churches.

Not being a regular church goer I am afraid I do not know the religious significance or name of a permanently lit red light in church.

Cheers.
Old 29th October 2020, 05:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post

Not being a regular church goer I am afraid I do not know the religious significance or name of a permanently lit red light in church.

Cheers.
In anglican churches, the Sanctuary lamp is a sign that the sacrament is reserved. In catholic churches, the sacrament is almost always reserved.
Old 29th October 2020, 06:39 PM
Friend

You're thinking of a sanctuary lamp. But they don't look quite like this

Quote:

Cheers.
Old 30th October 2020, 01:23 PM
Friend

Quote:

I can only offer the description given by this seller and many others selling similar pieces with the same description. If it had been listed as you say Nat, that too I would have believed, but it wouldn't have got a mention on this site then!

Whatever it's intended purpose, I still find it interesting just to look at. And as Richard says, how photographers from years gone by managed to produce anything at all, with either this or similar dim safe-lights to illuminate their darkrooms, one can only imagine.

Terry S
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:59 PM
Administrator

I suppose the Sanctuary Lamp may have been repurposed - it has some design elements typical of them if you do an image search. The seller is not alone in his description - there are others on ebay with similar lamps described as darkroom lamps that may well also be of religious origin.

As Terry says, either way it's an interesting object!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies