Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2021, 07:23 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Shortage

I used to buy my RA4 paper in 88m x 12"rolls from the Kodak Endura range. Shed loads cheaper than Fuji equivalent in cut sheet, (and in my opinion a better paper on a slightly heavier base.) but it looks like that too has gone the same way as most of the consumer range of C41 colour films - completely unobtanium on a regular basis. AG Photographic which was my usual source for Kodak paper are completely out of any size Kodak roll. Fortunately I have about 1/4 of a roll left.

They do list an alternative of Kodak Endura Premier Metallic. Apart from the name what is the difference in appearance because the word 'metallic' is putting me off.

Last edited by John King; 28th October 2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 29th October 2021, 12:17 PM
Friend

John, I believe that I have seen quite a few prints made on the paper that you mention, at my photo club.

A couple of the members regularly got their prints externally made on this paper and then mounted, for competitions. Checking the prices at the time, the process was quite a bit more than normal.

It's quite hard to explain it's look and the pictures on Kodak's website don't really show the difference. I would say they looked slightly sharper with very slightly more colour saturation, but without going overboard.

To quote from Kodak's website, 'Now, due to Kodak's innovative cyan dispersion and emulsion technology, you can benefit from an even larger color gamut, all the while maintaining clean whites, rich blacks, and accurate skin tones. This paper will produce more colors than were possible with previous ENDURA Papers.'

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/prod...metallic-paper

And AG's site says this, which will be of interest, 'This is a paper with an unusual silvery base tint and a high gloss surface. It benefits the right image immeasurably. But we would say, with the wrong image, it can add very little. Strong contrasty images, industrial images, high fashion can often work well. Highlights don’t seem to hold up well, so we advise people to avoid printing images with lots of subtle highlight detail – eg. Clouds in a landscape can be a problem.'

https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/c-type-prints/

I hope this is of some help in making your choice.

Terry S
Old 29th October 2021, 04:11 PM
Friend

Default Endura paper

I have 12x16 paper safe and I have just checked further and have about 40+ sheets of 12x16 cut sheets of Endura and with what is still in my dispenser I have enough for a couple of months or so before it gets really desperate. ( The only problem is when you get down to this amount of paper on the roll, it always has a strong curl which makes using the guillotine awkward.

I suspected as much about the other version of the Kodak paper and was not going to buy any until I knew a bit more about it so no loss there anyway. Thank for the info.

On the bright-side I managed to buy 6 x 36exp cassettes of Kodak Gold yesterday and as I type this, it is on the way in the care of DPD.
Old 29th October 2021, 04:15 PM
Friend

Terry, would you liken it to the old Cibachrome Prints?
They had a kind of sparkle to the print. Really punchy colours.
Sadly unavailable for quite a few years now.

Cheers.
Old 29th October 2021, 08:06 PM
Friend

Nat, I have seen Cibachrome prints and Endura is not as punchy as that, at least not the lustre surface. The gloss has more of a 'kick', but again not the same as Cibachrome. (The chemicals are not as toxic either)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies