Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd April 2011, 10:21 AM
Friend

Default Free to a good home

I have been asked by a friend today if I know anyone who wants a darkroom sink in good condition for free. Collect South East England.
Internal measurements are 48" x 20" with a 2" lip all round.

Sadly it will go to the tip on Wednesday if nobody wants it.
Tim
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:49 AM
Friend

Exclamation

I wish I had my own darkroom in which to put it. I'm sure someone will take it. They can then brag that Tim Rudman sourced them it.

p.s. I just bought your Toning Book. I'm only half-a-dozen pages in, but I am already liking it. I hope the rest follows suit. My first toned print is uploaded in the discussion gallery(done before accquiring of book). There seems to be some kind of 'white-out' at the top right corner and bottom middle. It would be great if you could comment.

JP
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:58 AM
Friend

Where in the South East would it have to be picked up from?
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markuk View Post
Where in the South East would it have to be picked up from?
West Sussex. Billingshurst.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:05 PM
Friend

Thanks for the quick reply, but is around a 3 hour journey for me. So I will have to leave it which is a shame. No doubt I will umm and rrrr it the next couple of days.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabhar View Post
I wish I had my own darkroom in which to put it. I'm sure someone will take it. They can then brag that Tim Rudman sourced them it.

p.s. I just bought your Toning Book. I'm only half-a-dozen pages in, but I am already liking it. I hope the rest follows suit. My first toned print is uploaded in the discussion gallery(done before accquiring of book). There seems to be some kind of 'white-out' at the top right corner and bottom middle. It would be great if you could comment.

JP
Well it's only 2.5" square on my screen, about MF contact size. But from what I can see my guess would be a processing fault.
You didn't say which toner you used but anything using a bleach stage (likely here I guess) is very unforgiving and reveals any processing 'irregularities' unmercifully.
Most of the blotches, spots, streaks, uneven tones and other problems that appear in a toned print probably were the result of processing faults in preceding stages so be careful and consistent in developer stop and fix. Agitate evenly and regularly in all baths - including the fixer, where I know from workshops that prints often get dumped and stew unattended for a while. Wash thoroughly too! Any fixer not thoroughly removed will react with bleach to give some irreversible bleaching that the toner cannot redevelop.
That would be my guess.
It's all in the book ;-))
Tim
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:58 PM
Friend

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply Tim.
From what I have so far read in the book, I thought there would be some 'fault' in my processing. I have been very careful in my technique. So much so that, my communal-darkroom peers think that I verge on the obsessive when it comes to 'working standards'. I guess they will only realise the necessity of such care when they take up toning themselves.
The first real eye-opener that your book gave me was the (previously over-looked) importance of the initial agitation in the stop-bath, a step that I have apparently regarded as 'not crucial'. I think this stems from the fact that Glasgow tap-water has served me very well in other processing results. So much so that, when a stop-bath is mentioned, I automatically think water !
I'm sure it is as you suggest that, I should take extra care in all steps of the process. I will pay particular, and more, attention to the stop, fix, and wash steps, especially for contamination issues, as I am sharing most of these darkroom processes with other relative 'newcomers'.
Sorry about the small-size upload, but FADU didn't accept anything bigger when I tried to send.
Thanks again, and now back to the book.

......page 20, Sepia Toning....

JP
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:39 PM
Friend

Mark consider it very carefully. It will be well worth the trip as long as you have the space and plumbing to install it. Sinks like these cost a fortune. Much more than the petrol cost of a trip to West Sussex. I know. I have a Brown's sink from Nova Darkroom

Make a day of it as well. Plenty to see and shoot down Sussex way

Mike
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Mark consider it very carefully. It will be well worth the trip as long as you have the space and plumbing to install it. Sinks like these cost a fortune. Much more than the petrol cost of a trip to West Sussex. I know. I have a Brown's sink from Nova Darkroom

Make a day of it as well. Plenty to see and shoot down Sussex way

Mike
I agree. I hate to see things like this go to the tip, and I know the person concerned feels the same.
Tim
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:07 PM
Friend

Hi Tim,

Just what I'm after, if it's in OK condition I'll take it, any chance of a pic?
Regards

Ed

PS PM or contact details here http://www.edwardmoss.co.uk/contact/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies