Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2020, 03:10 PM
Friend

Stay well, all. This too will pass. I don't know which is worse, the empty shelves, or all the panic that caused them. I was talking to one old friend, 81 years young, stuck in hospital after a fall. I suggested that if this really takes hold, a lot of the older generation will no longer be around to provide the wisdom that the younger generation now so desperately needs.
He came through shortages, strikes, three day working weeks, recessions, his kids' divorces.... These too, passed, and 'we just got on with it, no panics, no dramas....'
Then I went into the very local Sainsbugs to buy him some carbonated water. It was one of the few things left on the shelves......
Shades of Corporal Jones..'Don't Panic, Don't Panic!'
Stay well, all.
Old 18th March 2020, 03:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Stay well, all. This too will pass. I don't know which is worse, the empty shelves, or all the panic that caused them. I was talking to one old friend, 81 years young, stuck in hospital after a fall. I suggested that if this really takes hold, a lot of the older generation will no longer be around to provide the wisdom that the younger generation now so desperately needs.
He came through shortages, strikes, three day working weeks, recessions, his kids' divorces.... These too, passed, and 'we just got on with it, no panics, no dramas....'
Then I went into the very local Sainsbugs to buy him some carbonated water. It was one of the few things left on the shelves......
Shades of Corporal Jones..'Don't Panic, Don't Panic!'
Stay well, all.
I fully agree with you. However, there is the element of the younger generation who always think they know a better way of doing things and would take no notice anyway. I have two children, grown up now and have responsible jobs and are well balanced people but their children (2 each) are as cantankerous and rebellious and always know best. It isn't until they have responsibility and realise that they are not immortal does it change.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:57 PM
Friend

Default Source of infection

It occurred to me today after our postman had delivered a heap of mail. In the post was a bank statement and 5 other pieces of junk mail, non of it addressed to me, just advertising rubbish including 3 for the same curry house! Just 5 pieces is not normal in a week, I can get 2 or 3 times that amount.

I don't know how long the virus is believed to live outside the human body, I have no idea how long it will live on paper. I have no idea how many people will have handled the paper or in what conditions it was kept before given to the post office before distribution. The same could be said about normal letters but these we cannot avoid, but we can do without any other possible routes for it to travel and be finally dumped on the doormat. - Or am I being a touch paranoid.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Or am I being a touch paranoid.
Not so much paranoid John, as being careful and thinking about situations.

I too am receiving a lot less (mostly junk) mail at the moment, although the email rubbish keeps a coming and filling up my inbox needlessly!

But what I do, when ever the postie delivers mail, is to open it all carefully, discard of the outer envelope or packaging immediately into my recycling box and then wash my hands thoroughly with soap and water.

From what I've seen on tv, bank statements etc. and most probably most junk, is printed and enveloped by machines, unlike when I first worked in an office, many moons ago now.

We can only try our best and try to persuade others to be sensible as can be.

Stay safe everyone. We can do it!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd