Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2017, 06:45 PM
Friend

Default 35mm negative carrier for Vivitar VI enlarger

I tutor darkroom photography in a school in Birmingham UK and am helping our sister school reopen its darkroom after several years of disuse.

They have a very clean and working Vivitar VI enlarger but it lacks a 35 mm negative carrier. Does anyone please have an unused one of these that they would be willing to donate? Or broken one and we could try and print a new one on our 3d printer?

Many thanks

Dave
Old 16th September 2017, 05:14 PM
Friend

Afraid I can't help with the negative carrier.

I *did* find a manual for the enlarger (you might have this already):
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...rVI_Manual.pdf

Do you have the medium format carrier? If so you could used that as a basis for the outside dimensions but re-design the inside to accept 35mm strips... a ready-made 3D CAD project for a student! :)

I did have a quick look on ebay and I couldn't see any 35mm negative carriers - there were slide and 110 carriers (both in Canada)- you could buy the 110 carrier and 'butcher' a 24x36 hole in it.... maybe?
Old 16th September 2017, 09:30 PM
Friend

Hi

Thanks...I found the manual on Ollinger's but have no neg carrier...will see if we can design one from scratch which is simple to make. Appreciate the advice.
Old 19th September 2017, 08:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhealey View Post
I tutor darkroom photography in a school in Birmingham UK and am helping our sister school reopen its darkroom after several years of disuse.

They have a very clean and working Vivitar VI enlarger but it lacks a 35 mm negative carrier. Does anyone please have an unused one of these that they would be willing to donate? Or broken one and we could try and print a new one on our 3d printer?

Many thanks

Dave
Morning Dave,

For many years the Vivitar 356 was my main enlarger (bought in 1982 when Vivitar were selling them off), and I find I have several 35mm Vivitar negative carriers.

Before I put one in the post for you, can you measure the diameter of the circular hole in the lower negative stage - i.e. that in which the negative holder will be located. If that's inaccessible, the locating rim on another negative holder should give you the diameter. (Looking at the two relevant photos in the V1 Manual (I & N) I fear that what I have to offer may not fit your enlarger, which was earlier than the 356.)

If you also have the V1 Dioptic light source with an original EKG bulb, I expect you'll find it's lost its reflective coating. New EKG bulbs are still available.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:30 PM
Friend

Dear Malcolm

Thank you for your help and kind offer. I had a few moments to look at the enlarger this morning....the diameter of the hole below where the neg carrier should fit is about 75mm but it was difficult to measure. The whole is circular but with a square imposed upon it that appears to overlap the circumference slightly . please follow link to a)diagram of the carrier (off packaging seen on google...) for a different format b)photo of where carrier is to fit and c)photo of where carrier is to fit with condenser in down/lock position to hold carrier still.

[/URL]

If you cannot view the pics let me know and I will e-mail to them to you.
In case you do have one....please send it to me David Healey at King Edward VI Handsworth School, Rose Hill Road, Birmingham B21 9AR

Best wishes
Old 21st September 2017, 02:42 PM
Friend

Hi David,
I posted the Vivitar 35mm neg carrier to you this morning.
Old 21st September 2017, 08:06 PM
Friend

Extremely kind of you: thank you. That should give us five working enlargers and enable us to reopen the darkroom for students to use.

With best wishes

Dave
Old 28th November 2017, 07:16 PM
Friend

Our relaunched school darkroom will be first used by students this Thursday. Thanks to all of you who have been supportive.

We have discovered that we are missing a lens board for the Vivitar ...for a 50mm lens, 39mm fit. Does anyone by any chance have an unwanted one? Thank you.
Old 28th November 2017, 08:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhealey View Post
Our relaunched school darkroom will be first used by students this Thursday. Thanks to all of you who have been supportive.

We have discovered that we are missing a lens board for the Vivitar ...for a 50mm lens, 39mm fit. Does anyone by any chance have an unwanted one? Thank you.
Well done with your endeavours - good for these crafts to be kept alive.
I don't have a spare lens board, but I can scan mine (from my 365 enlarger) so that you have the precise dimensions. It's essentially circular, with a hole for the lens, and two key-holes for the retention screws. You'll need a 39mm securing ring for your lens. I assume both items could be made in your school's metal workshop. The material for the lens panel is aluminium, painted black, and is 1mm thick.

Send me your email, and I'll email the scan to you - in addition, I'll try uploading the scan here - image hosting service willing!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dif1jq359i...el%20.jpg?dl=0
Old 29th November 2017, 08:33 AM
Friend

Dear Malcolm

Thank you so much. e-mail address is dhealey@kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk

I've downloaded it from Dropbox. Most helpful. Thank you. Could you enlighten me as to one other point - I've never used one of these before - it appears to have t no red filter. Were they fitted with one...and if so is it a swing one and where does it fit? If you could send me a photo of what it should look like I'll try and track one down or improvise. Dave
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies