Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd February 2021, 09:23 PM
Friend

Default Minolta 16

Does anyone know about these cameras? I have a couple of them, a load of 16mm film, but no film cartridges. I’ve seen some cartridges for sale, complete with film. What I need to know is.....are the standard cartridges re-loadable, or was there a special cartridge to be used with bulk film?
Thanks,
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd February 2021, 07:52 AM
Friend

I have one not yet used , I think the cartridges can be reloaded but will have to check the one I have. I think Minolta sold special cartridges but I think some of the older ones come apart and can be reloaded like some of the 110 cartridges. I’ll try and take some photos of mine later.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:08 AM
Friend

Thanks , David. That would be helpful. I think I have all the stuff I need to process and print the film. I just need to locate a suitable cartridge. I don’t want to buy one with film in it, unless it can be reloaded.
Alex

Old 3rd February 2021, 03:05 PM
Friend

I have an old Minolta 16 MG-S
Luckily it came with a couple of rolls of unused out of date film.
The two halves of the cassettes are only held together with a strip of sellotape.
They were loaded originally with film having no feed holes.
Very easy to reload.
http://www.submin.com/
The above link takes you to a site that gives some more details.

An interesting thing to me is when the film is wound on a frame, The pressure plate in the film gate moves away from the film.
When the frame advancement is complete, the plate moves back into position.

Cheers.
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:06 PM
Friend

Hi Alex

I have uploaded some photos of the cassettes here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UAhpp2TxCdnuwawG9

There are four parts to it. The main case, a lid for each end then a plastic reel that the film is attached to.

The length of film (Keep an old film to measure the length) is attached to the reel with tape and is is then put in the larger end open side up. You then need to roll the film up so it fits in the other end making sure you fit it through the felt seals at each end. Then put the caps back on and tape it up. Hope that makes sense. I have only practiced so far and have not loaded them with any unexposed film.

As the minolta cameras do not require perforations you can use all sorts of film. I have some microfilm to try at some point.

David
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:17 PM
Friend

Page 23 of this manual tells you how to load your own

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolt...nolta_16mg.htm

David
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:26 PM
Friend

Thanks, Nat and David. I’m hoping to buy a cartridge soon and get underway. I’ll report back soon.
Alex

Old 10th February 2021, 02:42 PM
Friend

I just had a look at the original piece of film taken from the cassette.
In case you did not know what length to use. It measures 18 3/4 inches.

I don't know if you have given much thought to suitable sized developing tank and spiral.
The one I use is an old Johnson, Roto-Two Developing tank.
I looked on the web and the Roto-One does not appear to take 16mm film.
These have ceased to be made many years ago, but there are other makes available. A bit of homework is needed if you do not already a tank.

Cheers.
Old 10th February 2021, 02:58 PM
Friend

An unusual thing about the tank agitator spindle is it unscrews into two halves and a small thermometer can sit inside. The top half is clear plastic allowing the temperature to be read at all times.

There are plenty of Roto Ones available for auction but I have not seen a Roto Two recently.
When I bought mine a couple of years ago there was about four for auction. Just like taxis and busses!

Sometimes you see the cassettes in "camera accessories, job lot" instead of being too specific with your search request.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTO   -   TWO  TANK.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	4017  
Old 10th February 2021, 09:11 PM
Friend

Thanks for the information, Nat. I have bought a camera outfit that includes a cassette. It hasn’t arrived yet. I also managed to find a set of Sivopar 110 inserts for my Durst enlarger which look to be ideal for 16mm. One of the cameras I have has some 16mm B&W negatives in the case. It’s the 16MG , which I think is a later model than my 16 II. Somewhat surprisingly, the selenium meter on the MG seems to be fully working. The negatives with it look to be of good quality. I’m going to print some of them to see what they are like. I’ll look for one of the tanks you mention. I have Paterson and Jobo tanks, but nothing specifically for 16mm, except a big Russian cine tank. I would need to shoot about twenty films before it was worth the cost of chemicals.
Alex.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies