Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th September 2013, 09:27 AM
Friend

Default Giottos tripods

I purchased a Giottos MTL8361B tripod about four years ago when a local retailer was selling them at a heavily discounted price - For the money, I would have been hard pushed to get a Gitzo aluminium, let alone a carbon fibre. Many people are critical of Chinese gear, but my pocket and back said go for the cheap option.

On the last trip out, I noticed one of the lever locks had cracked. Must have caught it on something or given it a hard knock earlier in the year - The leg in question still locked in place sufficiently securely to enable me to carry on with a days shooting. On Monday, I rang the importer to see if I could get a replacement lever and got told they would ring me back.... I'm not the easiest to contact by phone as I work odd hours & refuse to carry a mobile. They finally got hold of me yesterday as said "We now have a clamp in stock and will send it to you free of charge".

DayMen International, as good as their word, sent a complete clamp, lever, and bushing out first class post. A fiddly little so'n'so to fit, but the tripod is now as good as new. One happy customer that isn't afraid to buy Chinese gear again.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:00 AM
Friend

I've got a Giottos ballhead which I used to use for my D700 and my old Mamiya RB67 and I must say, it was brilliant. The built quality was fantastic and it lasted. I've not had the need to use it lately but have no complaints whatsoever. I'd buy more Giottos products for sure.
Old 26th September 2013, 01:55 PM
Friend

Get Gitzo tripod, worth every penny.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 26th September 2013, 03:15 PM
Friend

Paul, nice to read about such good customer service, although their latest carbon tripods are as expensive as comparable Manfrotto tripods which would be my choice.
Old 27th September 2013, 03:01 PM
Friend

I'm with Jon, Gitzo tripods every time - although I prefer to use Manfrotto Geared Heads.

Gitzo have an excellent web based spare parts system too - going back for models many years out of production.

Nice to here about the excellent customer service from Giottos

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies