Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th February 2018, 09:46 PM
Friend

Default Infrared.

Anyone shooting infrared? I'm looking ahead to spring.
I'm familiar with Ilford SFX, which can give strong effects with a deep enough filter, but curious if anyone has real experience with (for example) Rollei IR.
It comes in 5x4, and I'm interested in the possibility of IR effects with less grain than we see in small format images. Pretty sure the bellows on my Shen Hao are infrared safe, but unless the IR effect is more striking than SFX life would be easier and cheaper carrying on with 120 SFX in the Mamiya.
Your experiences please, Ladies and Gentlemen?
Old 6th February 2018, 09:56 PM
Friend

It is a long while ago since I used Rollie IR and was not really impressed. Yes I was using 35mm but the grain was oppressive. Even more so than Kodak High Speed IR, which in itself was grainy, but it had the dreamy like appearance given by the lack of an anti-halation film backing which made it unique.

The Ilford SFX is also very grainy and this also fits the profile of the Rollie film.
You may deduce I don't care for either.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:25 PM
Friend

Skellum, your cat looks traumatised already with having to wear those IR googles. If you go to 5x4 it will jump on the CalMac ferry with a ticket round its neck saying: Please deposit me at J King's in County Durham

On a more serious note and still not being able to answer your 5x4 question, can I ask how much the graininess of SFX is diminished by MF.

I got a few rolls of SFX in 135 a few years ago from the person who sold me a CPE2 and it did look grainy for a 200 speed. Strangely enough the graininess seemed to lessen with a 25 red filter which of course only gives a "semi IR effect." i.e. black skies and even in the right light almost black water but no "Wood Effect"

Thanks

Mike
Old 7th February 2018, 08:02 AM
Friend

I don't need any stray moggies from whatever source because they don't fit too well on the back of a motorcycle. I draw the line with the 'Boss'. I can always shut off the intercom system!
Old 7th February 2018, 09:15 AM
Friend

Like John, i was not impressed with Rollei IR400 in 5x4 sheets.

The base is very thin and can be difficult to handle. From memory, i was exposing at around EI 12 or 6 with a Hoya R72 filter.

I will give it a try again (i have about 75 sheets left) but will leave it until later in the year when the sun is a bit stronger.

Mike
Old 7th February 2018, 11:38 AM
Friend

I've shot a few rolls of Rollei IR 400 in the 35 mm format. I rated it at ISO 3 and developed it in ID11 (1+1) for 11 minutes. The negatives look a bit overexposed, so I will have to reduce my development time. The funny thing is that they scan beautifully but I would never be able to match the result in my darkroom. I'm using my Xpan with the R72 filter in place. Being a rangefinder the filter is no problem with my composition.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 7th February 2018, 04:18 PM
Friend

I have a blog article on my experiences with IR400 here - https://kevinthephotographer.wordpre...noway-session/

I'm sure you'll recognise the location Skellum - Stornoway.

IR400 definitely has a stronger effect than SFX200.

I expect I will purchase some 5x4 IR400 in time for the summer and I'm looking forward to the flexibility of just shooting a single sheet rather than dedicating a camera to a whole roll of 120 or 35mm.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:48 PM
Friend

Excellent pictures, Kevin. If these are scans of prints then I can see very little evidence of intrusive grain. Things are more problematical if they are scans of negs in terms of working out how a print would look but they still look promising and yet your mention of grain either suggests that it remains a problem in a print or it suggests that my standard of what constitutes intrusive grain is less exacting.

Certainly if I could produce prints that look as good as the scanned pictures in the article I'd be very happy, even in 135

Mike
Old 7th February 2018, 07:01 PM
Friend

Thanks everybody.
In no particular order-
SFX200 in 120 definitely looks less grainy than 35mm. In part because you enlarge less, but I wonder if something else goes on- Delta 3200 in 120 looks better than 35mm HP5 to my eye.
The idea of shooting the odd frame of Infrared in 5x4 is attractive, but if the base is flimsy and the grain poor I'll probably stick to using it in 120. I'm lucky enough to have two C330 bodies, and even carrying them both is still less weight than the 5x4 kit.
Kevin- great shots. That's what I fancy, the glowing trees and black skies I remember from Kodak HIE. Not to everyone's taste but I loved it. Black and white is already an abstraction, so I don't hold with comments that IR is 'unrealistic'. It can be beautiful.
Mike- I actually have a herd of cats, and none show signs of moving out. In fact they love the darkroom. Every printing session is completed with at least one snoozing mog somewhere in the red glow. Seems they enjoy the soothing experience- another triumph over d*****l.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:37 PM
Friend

Thanks, Skellum. I would agree with your comments on D3200 in 120 and HP5+ in 135. The jump to 120 makes a big difference and D3200 in 120 loses the grainy characteristics that I had associated it with in 135.

In the future I think that if I were to try SFX again it would be in 120 It is just a pity about its price.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies