Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th November 2015, 02:19 PM
Friend

Default Information sharing

Do you think that access to the internet has helped to inform, influence and educate people about photography? I have been pleasantly surprised by how many photographers are willing to share their knowledge, long may it continue.
Old 10th November 2015, 02:37 PM
Friend

Indeed!
Old 10th November 2015, 04:25 PM
Friend

For sure,

I don't mind sharing my general knowledge, and in turn I still learn a lot in return
Old 10th November 2015, 06:45 PM
Friend

I still think it is an good idea and an essential part of a forum to pass ideas on.
The only problem is however, how do you know the person providing the information actually knows what he is talking about and what is being advised is safe or actually works and not end up damaging the items being discussed.

On another forum (not photography) when I took over as Administrator, one of the first tasks I undertook was to post a disclaimer that all information or help was not necessarily the views of the owners of the forum. Any advice taken was at their own risk. It sounds a bit heavy handed, but in this day and age of suing for anything, you always have to be one step ahead.

Last edited by John King; 10th November 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 13th November 2015, 12:03 PM
Friend

Health and safety is not rocket science but common sense. If you have no common then you should not be mucking about with chemicals in the dark or the light. Most people now a day take no responsibility for their actions or lack of them. It is up to all of us to keep each other safe.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th November 2015, 12:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Do you think that access to the internet has helped to inform, influence and educate people about photography? I have been pleasantly surprised by how many photographers are willing to share their knowledge, long may it continue.
Well it is a much better situation than when I started attending camera clubs in the late 1960s - in those days the majority (with some notable exceptions) of the most experienced members wouldn't give any information to less experienced members for fear that they might then be knocked off their perch!

Of course, one has to approach information provided on this, and other, forums with caution especially as everyone has different standards in terms of technical and aesthetic merit.

Nevertheless, since analogue photography has become somewhat a niche, I find it admirable how willing people now are to share their knowledge - and long may it remain so.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 15th November 2015, 03:08 AM
Friend

In a way it's still like that David,

I know that not everyone will get to this stage, but I've discovered that some gallery owners won't allow any work that they feel is superior to theirs.

However the next one will welcome it and even promote it ahead of their own work.

I've found that the second type will usually also give any aspiring artist hints and tips along the way.

I should probably mention that most gallery owners are either artists, framers or family of artists.
Old 15th November 2015, 02:04 PM
Friend

Even a self confessed "Luddite" like myself, who is very very uncomfortable with technology [ as opposed to craft], especially this style : internet and blogs etc. I HAVE to admit that I have found it very useful on a receiving end of info, on a sharing of info , and on giving info.
But to say I enjoy using a computer..............no way
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies