Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th September 2018, 12:02 PM
Friend

Speaking of Durst's, I've always wondered what the small green(?) grid screens on the front of many of them, actually do?

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Terry S
Old 11th September 2018, 08:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Speaking of Durst's, I've always wondered what the small green(?) grid screens on the front of many of them, actually do?

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Terry S

You use it when the enlarger is converted into a copy camera. You take the mirror out and reverse it. You can then view the baseboard via the green screen to align the artwork. You would have fitted lights to illuminate the baseboard, and a sheet film cassette, or roll film holder goes where the carrier normally sits. I have all the bits, but have never actually tried it. There are easier ways to make copies, although the lights are still useful. They clamp on to the edge of the baseboard.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11th September 2018, 08:55 PM
Administrator

B&W paper is not sensitive to IR - it's not even sensitive to R.

Enlarger and projection lamps are always dichroic so the heat is not projected forward (as much). There are optics in the light path you do not want to overheat and negative/film you do not want to melt.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 12th September 2018, 07:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
B&W paper is not sensitive to IR - it's not even sensitive to R.....

Cheers, Bob.
I am aware that paper is insensitive to red Bob but somewhere in this age-addled brain of mine lurks a dim memory of issues with paper and excessive IR, fogging perhaps? - but it's probably just file corruption.

Unfortunately there is still the issue with 'silvered (aluminised)' as against 'dichroic' reflectors in these tungsten halogen lamps and printing with the LPL C6700/7700 enlargers. As you noted, there is the problem with heat but the issue my friend and I had was that no matter what we tried we couldn't get a half decent print, or predictable grade changes with MG paper, until we changed the lamp to a branded dichroic lamp when the issue immediately went away - and yes, I did try a new, locally bought, so-called projector lamp as a control test. Incidentally, even after a 5 minute lamp-on period neither the mixing chamber or negative stage got overly warm.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with my enlarger now and if anything in this thread helps others then it has served it's purpose hasn't it.
Old 12th September 2018, 11:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
You use it when the enlarger is converted into a copy camera. You take the mirror out and reverse it. You can then view the baseboard via the green screen to align the artwork. You would have fitted lights to illuminate the baseboard, and a sheet film cassette, or roll film holder goes where the carrier normally sits. I have all the bits, but have never actually tried it. There are easier ways to make copies, although the lights are still useful. They clamp on to the edge of the baseboard.
Alex
Thanks Alex. You have cleared up my wonder over many years what the green screen was for, and it's not something I would have thought of.

Terry S
Old 14th September 2018, 04:05 PM
Friend

Thanks for all your help. I am going to take the head to bits and clean it all up to get the colour filters working again. I'll get a new bulb once I have done that.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:50 AM
New User

Did you solve de problem?
I recently bought a VC6700 and I'm having a similar problem.
I've been using the lever on the bright position, because in the other one at f8 I have to expose for minutes.
I don't know the what bulb is in it, if its the original or the previous owner changed it.
Anyway, the grades colours tweaking just seems to work fine but the output light is too dim in my opinion.
Thats the most recent post I found about this enlarger, hope still is active.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNierga View Post
Did you solve de problem?
I recently bought a VC6700 and I'm having a similar problem.
I've been using the lever on the bright position, because in the other one at f8 I have to expose for minutes.
I don't know the what bulb is in it, if its the original or the previous owner changed it.
Anyway, the grades colours tweaking just seems to work fine but the output light is too dim in my opinion.
Thats the most recent post I found about this enlarger, hope still is active.

I ended up giving it away as I got a new enlarger.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
I ended up giving it away as I got a new enlarger.

What ?

Old 14th October 2019, 07:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
What ?

I gave it away as I didn’t need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies