Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st July 2019, 10:11 AM
Friend

Default Anti Newton Ring Glass

I don't suppose anyone has a single piece of AN glass out of a 6x4.5 slide mount by any chance.

I am trying to change my glass-less 35mm negative carrier in my LPL7700, into one that has a single glass above the negative, similar to that in the Leica V35 enlarger. Without the glass to stop the negative buckling in long exposures I am wasting a lot of paper.

I have a load of 35mm AN pieces of glass, but they are just too small to be able to attach them easily with adequate support along the edges. I have tried commercially available AN glass but it is too thick to fit and maintain the upper part of the carrier parallel with the lower.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I don't suppose anyone has a single piece of AN glass out of a 6x4.5 slide mount by any chance.

I am trying to change my glass-less 35mm negative carrier in my LPL7700, into one that has a single glass above the negative, similar to that in the Leica V35 enlarger. Without the glass to stop the negative buckling in long exposures I am wasting a lot of paper.

I have a load of 35mm AN pieces of glass, but they are just too small to be able to attach them easily with adequate support along the edges. I have tried commercially available AN glass but it is too thick to fit and maintain the upper part of the carrier parallel with the lower.
Hi
I have a number of 6x7 Gepe glass slide mounts one side is anti Newton, would you be able to cut it or have it cut?
Old 1st August 2019, 06:18 AM
Friend

That is perfect. I should be able to cut them (once I have found my glass cutter) I only need one, but two would be better cos then I can also convert the 6x6 glassless carrier as well. How much do you want for them and of course I would pay the postage.

I will send you a PM with my address and 'phone number.
Old 1st August 2019, 06:24 AM
Friend

Hi John
No charge, £2 postage, I will send my PayPal email by PM.

Regards
Tony
Old 1st August 2019, 07:33 AM
Friend

John,

I'm not familiar with the LPL7700, but is it possible that there's a heat filter missing from the light path?

Mike
Old 1st August 2019, 08:45 AM
Friend

I have an LPL7700 and have never had any problems with a buckling neg even for 6x7. I never expose the neg for longer than about 40 seconds so this might not apply if the exposure is much longer.
Paul
p.s. I do have a universal neg holder with glass inserts but prefer to use the individual holders.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:13 AM
Friend

I use an LPL7700 and I have to ask if you are using the correct dichroic reflector lamp: https://www.flameport.com/electric/l...light_lamp.cs4

The LPL7700 has a large heat sink above the lamp housing specifically to dissipate the rearward projected heat from the dichroic lamp and it does get hot! If a simple aluminium reflector projector lamp is used it will overheat the negative stage as it projects the heat forwards.

It's a while since I had my enlarger head apart to lube the filter mechanism and I remember there is a thick asbestos - yes, asbestos - spacer between the lamp housing and the filter chamber which I assume is there to minimise heat conduction between the two assemblies.

I have never encountered overheating at the negative stage and a check this morning showed a 2 degree temperature rise above ambient for a 3 minute exposure time - and I have never used such a time in real life.
Old 14th October 2021, 03:09 PM
Friend

I was pondering about the very same idea last night.
I thought I was the first to think think up this slide mount glass dodge.
It's all been done before.

I was wondering if the anti newton slide glass was a success.

I know this was a while back, but it would be nice to know the outcome.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies