Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2015, 08:00 PM
Friend

Default have you tested your sample yet

I received my test bottle of tetenal eukobrom paper developer the other day, I tried it out I had two trays of developer one my usual Ilford and the other tetenal ,I used Ilford paper and made two of each print to compare ,first I noticed that the tetenal is a bright yellow same as my stopbath ,when I used it the print came out about half a stop lighter than the print developed in lford developer ,I increased the filter in my enlarger from grade two to grade two and a half ,and got the same results as the print done in Ilford developer at grade two ..I like more contrast on my prints and I feel that Ilford paper developer gives me that ,and the tetenal is a bit softer, but as they are a different composition maybe that would be another reason to buy it .I would use it again if I couldn't get Ilford dev ,it all boils down to personal preference so don't let me put you of buying it you will have to try it first .
www.essexcockney.com
Old 9th November 2015, 09:21 PM
Friend

I was told it was on the way by E mail, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 9th November 2015, 09:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I received my test bottle of tetenal eukobrom paper developer the other day, I tried it out I had two trays of developer one my usual Ilford and the other tetenal ,I used Ilford paper and made two of each print to compare ,first I noticed that the tetenal is a bright yellow same as my stopbath ,when I used it the print came out about half a stop lighter than the print developed in lford developer ,I increased the filter in my enlarger from grade two to grade two and a half ,and got the same results as the print done in Ilford developer at grade two ..I like more contrast on my prints and I feel that Ilford paper developer gives me that ,and the tetenal is a bit softer, but as they are a different composition maybe that would be another reason to buy it .I would use it again if I couldn't get Ilford dev ,it all boils down to personal preference so don't let me put you of buying it you will have to try it first .
www.essexcockney.com
Did you try developing the print in the eukobrom for longer than the recommended time?
Old 9th November 2015, 10:21 PM
Friend

first I did the same dev times and then gave the tetenal longer development overall tetenal prints came out softer and not as contrasty until I changed the filter up half a grade . ok next time I do some printing I will use just tetenal .at the end of the day we all muck about with things in the darkroom until we get the results we want .I don't think that I have ever used a chemical that has been miles better than another chemical I have used ,,to me they mostly seem to be the same or in this case slightly different....

maybe somebody more technical than me should try it ,as you can see I am no good at explaining things I know in my mind what I like ,and I do try , but as it was sent to me as a freebee to test I would have a go .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 9th November 2015, 10:57 PM
Friend

A possible test here, Paul, involves Kentmere but if you haven't any then ignore what I am about to suggest.

It is said that under the same filter Kentmere is maybe 1/2 a grade if not slightly more contrasty than Ilford.

If the Kentmere print with the same filter as the Ilford print in Tetenal only matches the Ilford print in Ilford MG developer rather than being more contrasty which it should be if the developers produce the same contrast then this may add weight to your finding that Eukobrom is a less contrasty developer.

I have seen Rob Archer's pic with Eukobrom and it looks quite low contrast but I haven't seen any print comparison in both developers.

He did say that the blacks were fine but if he used a half grade more than he'd normally use for a print in Ilford MG then that would still be the case as you have found

Does this make sense?

Mike
Old 9th November 2015, 11:44 PM
Friend

I found the actual monochrome pleasing, but like others - the prints a bit soft. But on longer exposures and harder grades, quite an exciting mono.
Old 9th November 2015, 11:48 PM
Friend

yes that's about right some people may like the results we have all different taste ,theres nothing wrong with it I will use the rest up , its £10 for a 1L and Ilford 1L dev is a bit cheaper .but in this day and age to get something for nothing gives me a nice warm feeling in my wallet ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th November 2015, 06:40 AM
Friend

It is definitely lower contrast than some developers. I tested it against D72 (home-made version of Kodak Dektol) and it was noticeably softer and slightly warmer. It's certainly an excellent developer but if higher contrast and cold tones are your thing it's probably not for you. I used it at 1:9 and developed for the full 2 minutes. I haven't tried it at 1:4 yet but I'd expect a bit more contrast.
Old 10th November 2015, 07:17 AM
Friend

Not yet as bad weather has delayed house repairs which have been preventing me using my darkroom area.
If as Rob says it's slightly warmer and also softer it might be useful for some contrasty negs the subject of which would suit a warmtone. I usually like my prints to be "punchy" but experimenting with a new camera and some old film has resulted in some interesting but hard negatives.
Old 10th November 2015, 10:02 AM
Friend

I didn't order any just because it may be more difficult and expensive to ship to Canada than it's worth.
However I am suddenly wondering what it would be like as a Film developer.
I'm thinking that the softness may be pleasing with Litho films.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies