Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th October 2011, 10:15 AM
Friend

Default Meopta Meograde Magnifax 4a enlarger

I am only starting to dip my toe in the water on the subject of darkroom work and recently I was offered a Meopta Meograde Magnifax 4a enlarger with a Nikon EL-NIKKOR 50mm 1:2.8 lens.

As my interest in mainly black and white (monochrome) work my question is will this enlarger work with black and white. From what I read on the wires, it will work and the lens is quite good.

Any basic advice greatly appreciated

Paul
Old 16th October 2011, 12:19 PM
Friend

Provided your enlarger is in correct working order it will be fine. The Meograde head was, if memory serves me correctly, supplied as an alternative to the condenser head and the colour head that I use. The Meograde was intended for use with B & W multigrade papers.
If the enlarger has been unused for some time you may need to make sure the filter mechanisms work smoothly and the filters are clean. This is not difficult, just requires common sense.
Regarding the lens, again if it is in correct order and hasn't been dropped or otherwise had its operation impaired, you should find that it gives very fine results. Meopta enlargers are built like a tank and so are as near indestructable as any such equipment can be. It also works very well. The whole outfit should suit your purpose admirably - enjoy your printing!
Old 16th October 2011, 01:01 PM
Friend

Hi Paul - the Meograde head was supplied as a separate unit for the standard colour Magnifax. It was very well regarded, and actually the Magnifax is a wonderful enlarger that will cover up to 6x9. As David said the Meograde is specifically for printing multicontrast B&W, so you'll have no problems there.
Barry Thornton used the Magnifax professionally, and I am sure Roger Hicks and Frances Shultz also use them in preference to anything else.
The 2.8 El-Nikkor, is, like most Nikkors, a good and reliable lens.
Have fun and enjoy the set-up.
Phil
Old 17th October 2011, 05:35 PM
Friend

Hi Paul, I have this set up, and it is great for Black and white. Good quality lens, built in filters which can be used for multigrade work. High column for big prints, stable. Not as good as the Devere 203, but the colour version of the Devere, can handle 6x7 negatives, where as the Magnifax can do 6.5x9cm.
Old 18th October 2011, 06:41 AM
Friend

I too use the Magnifax 4 for all my work and have found it to be a very good piece of equipment. The Meograde head is sturdy and has the adantage of adjustabe ND filters to add up to 2 stops which is an easy way to make printing times more manageable if you have a thin negative.

The Nikkor lens is also an excellent performer, it is my preferred 50mm.

Steve
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies