Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2022, 11:40 AM
Friend

Only very indirectly connected to what you refer to, Bob, but last night I saw a site called DarkroomDave which I thought had to be Dave the Ilford Master Printer and it was. However my Internet Security warned me that it was an unsafe site as it had no certificate

OK I knew it was safe but casual visitors may want to open it on a just in case basis

It just goes to show that it pays not to let matters lapse like this if you rely on having a site that you want people to visit

Mike
Old 2nd May 2022, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Only very indirectly connected to what you refer to, Bob, but last night I saw a site called DarkroomDave which I thought had to be Dave the Ilford Master Printer and it was. However my Internet Security warned me that it was an unsafe site as it had no certificate

OK I knew it was safe but casual visitors may want to open it on a just in case basis

It just goes to show that it pays not to let matters lapse like this if you rely on having a site that you want people to visit

Mike
Yes, FADU will give you the same "warning" as it too uses HTTP instead of encrypted HTTPS. It is actually the browser that checks and sees there is no encryption certificate (or if it has expired or otherwise is not 100% kosher). This is not really an issue for sites that do not carry any personal information about you and just confuses the casual user into thinking there is something wrong with the site when, as you say, all is actually perfectly normal.

Saying that, any site that stores personal info about you and gives that warning should be treated with caution - any professional site will use a certificate and if your bank etc site suddenly starts giving that warning, you may be on a fake site...
Old 11th July 2022, 06:03 AM
Friend

Hi, no RK has closed.. I took over from Roy. Then when we had to move to Letchworth I resigned and John wanted to carry on. He closed the shop in May.
Old 11th July 2022, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Sad news Verene thank you for letting us know.
Old 11th July 2022, 02:57 PM
Friend

Very sad news indeed.

I bought almost my entire first darkroom from them when they were in north London.

At the time they labelled themselves as "The Darkroom" - so something similar.

It was a very dangerous place (for your wallet) to loiter - full of lots of lovely stuff - both new as well as good quality second hand.

They were even good enough to deliver it by hand to my house in Stratford.

Martin
Old 11th July 2022, 06:05 PM
Friend

I bought film etc from Roy's dad when he had Harringey Photograpghic Supplies with a young Martin Reed later at Goldfinger, and the founder of Silverprint working there.

There are newer companies filling the voids, like Nik & Trick, and they have some items not available elsewhere.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies