Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2022, 12:31 PM
Friend

Default Chinese ebay items coming via Germany?

I don't know why, so I'm left wondering why some various Chinese sellers items that I bought on eBay UK, have all come via German post, with new labels attached, stating:

'PREPAID
Germany
Postfach 2007
36243 Niederaula'

Any thoughts?

Terry S
Old 9th May 2022, 01:23 PM
Friend

Hi Terry,

what does the sellers adress in the ebay description say? Did you buy from a seller located in China or in Germany? There are some chinese dealers with warehouses located in Germany. In this case they ship with German Post/DHL.

Maybe due to general supply chain issues the chance to grab a German (EU based) Chinese dealer with items still in stock is higher.

What I see is a remarkable decrease in chinese ebay offers. I wanted to purchase a lens hood for a standard lens. Some time ago thre were offers over offers, at the moment there are half a dozend worldwide for three or fout times of their initial price.

Regards, Matti
Old 9th May 2022, 04:34 PM
Friend

I had a few Luland lens boards for a Linhof Technika delivered from Holland recently. Ordered from China.

I was happy to not be charged any customs or VAT fees.

They make a good looking knock off of the Sinar pan tilt head that I'd like to order if I could be sure I wasn't going to have to pay the customs fees....
Old 9th May 2022, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Basically a way of sending goods from China (and other places) more quickly than directly via China Post. They will send goods in advance to an overseas location and then advertise the items for sale locally once they get there. The local warehouse (possibly someone's flat in practice) will then post them from there, cutting down on the 6+ weeks it would normally take to receive stuff directly from China. Or, could be drop-shipping, which is similar, but the goods are owned by the local wholesaler and are then purchased by the person you buy the item from on eBay/Amazon etc and then shipped to you by the local wholesaler.

Last edited by Bob; 9th May 2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 9th May 2022, 11:53 PM
Friend

Bob,if there is a problem with the stuff in terms of not matching the description etc on e-Bay can I take it that the buck stops at the original Chinese seller's door and the circuitous route of deliver's address in no way creates problems for the buyer complainant?

Thanks

Mike
Old 10th May 2022, 12:20 AM
Friend

The Luland products I have bought on Ebay have all been processed as normal with a block of ideograms as positive feedback.

There is no evidence of any middleman in the transaction.

Old 10th May 2022, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Bob,if there is a problem with the stuff in terms of not matching the description etc on e-Bay can I take it that the buck stops at the original Chinese seller's door and the circuitous route of deliver's address in no way creates problems for the buyer complainant?

Thanks

Mike
I would very much expect so. Your contract is with the seller - where he actually gets the stuff from is not relevant to the sale, and if the stuff that turns up on your doorstep is not what you ordered, then that contract is broken. Getting the wrong item is more of a worry with drop-shipping and not so much when they just ship things in advance as they have more control over the items for sale then. I don't know, but I expect the more obscure items will be shipped in advance and only more common and popular items drop-shipped as the local fulfilment warehouse will only want to stock easily sold items with a high turnover.

Last edited by Bob; 10th May 2022 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10th May 2022, 04:41 AM
Friend

In the past, I bought some bits and pieces from China. All were sent from Germany. Shipping post are often zero or nearly so.

I assume that sending were bundled and shipped with a container to Germany and then distributed. Only this way, one can produce and ship let's say an USB cable for less than 2€.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies