Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th April 2015, 06:02 PM
Friend

Default Film reels sticking mid-roll

I am having some difficulty spooling film onto my plastic Paterson reels. The film can be spooled half-way to two-thirds onto the reel and then there is much resistence to any further spooling.
I have attempted to spool some recently processed film onto the reels in daylight to look for any obvious issues and although I have spooled more there is still resistance towards the end of the film which is causing creases in the film.

Is this a case of dirty reels and can this be remedied or are they coming to their natural end? They are in the dishwasher now ...

David
Old 9th April 2015, 06:23 PM
Friend

Dirt, remains of wetting agent, ... Cleaning is a nice idea, maybe better with brush and hot water. Graphite (pencil) seems to be a good solution (well, workaround) and also avoiding dampness by pre-warming the reels:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=3917
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=6350
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=9749
are a few threads about the issue.

Stainless steel reels (also available for plastic tanks) could worth a thought, but they are expensive.
Old 9th April 2015, 06:47 PM
Friend

Thanks Martin.
I will get my pencil out ! One comment mentioned storing the reels in tanks could result in the reels still being 'damp', this is probably the reason why the film was sticking.
Old 9th April 2015, 08:51 PM
Friend

I always warm my reels with a hair dryer, not mine I hasten to add!

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 9th April 2015, 09:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgc View Post
Thanks Martin.
I will get my pencil out ! One comment mentioned storing the reels in tanks could result in the reels still being 'damp', this is probably the reason why the film was sticking.
Well if the reels are put back in the tank still wet or seriously damp then they might take a while to dry out if the top of the tank is pushed on as if ready to develop a film but if the tank top is just placed on top then enough air will enter and escape over a few hours or maybe a day to dry the reel or at least I would have thought

Mike
Old 10th April 2015, 05:18 AM
Friend

When I've finished processing film I leave the tanks and reels in a large tray lined with kitchen roll to air dry, (mind you I live on my own so no one to tell me that looks untidy) but I never have problems with film sticking while feeding on to reels.
Richard
Old 10th April 2015, 09:00 AM
Friend

Default Sticky reels

Because I always use a wetting agent I give a light scrub and good rinse after use. I bought a length of light wooden dowel, cut it into approx 9 inch lenghts, drilled 4 holes in a piece of wood just a fraction larger, glued the dowel in then fastened it to the wall. All my reels are on there always, easy to find in the dark and never damp. Why put them in a tank only to take them out to load? Works for me..
Old 10th April 2015, 11:43 AM
Friend

I've given this tiop before on here, I use the Patterso reels, I use wetting agent, I never wash my reels after processing, just put them to dry outside of the tank, The only thing ever I do is to run a pencil around the groves in the reel, not every time but every third film processed, I rarely if ever get film,35mm or 120, stuck 99 times out of 100 it slips in like a hot knife though butter, on the hundredth time when the film does stick a sharp tap on one side on the work bench always clears the film and it loads easily, this has been my method for mre years than I care to think about,and always works for me
Richard
Old 13th April 2015, 09:59 AM
Friend

metal ones all the way for me, once you get the knack they kinda load themselves. never jam up and you can quickly dry one and use it again immediately. bomb proof and last forever. hewes are my faves.
Old 13th April 2015, 07:09 PM
Friend

I stick my reels and tank in the airing cupboard - the missus is very understanding unless they drip stuff onto whites also in the airing cupboard...

I avoid using wetting agent in the tanks too, i've heard this can lead to a build up of muck, but I get plenty of build up from the fact that the water is soft around me.

I scrub the reels with a bit of tar buster every 6 months or so, and this keeps my jobo 1500 reels shiny.

Oh, and the other bit of advice would be to clip the corners of your film to 45 degrees to help them feed (I do this with 35mm, but 120 seems to be ok to me).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies