Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2015, 11:16 PM
Friend

Default 6x9-enlargers to print full frame plus borders

Hi there,
I'm looking for 6x9-B&W-enlargers capable of printing a 6x9-neg full frame and with black borders.
Do "oversize 6x9"-enlargers exist or are the only real options:
a) a 4x5-enlarger
b) a 6x9-enlarger and some hours with a file
I've read that the Beseler 23C II with a hard to find negative-carrier can handle a 6x9-neg with room to spare, but would like to know if - for instance - a Durst 800/805, a Focomat IIa/IIc or other 6x9-enlargers would work too without modifications.
Many thanks in advance, Georg.
Old 25th February 2015, 09:10 PM
Friend

I have printed the full neg with border using my Kaiser Enlarger. The neg mask is plastic so just a few minutes with a file. You can buy spare neg masks cheap as well. Will print up to 6x9 when using the 6x9 condenser. Superb enlargers and still being made and sold....

M

Last edited by MartinH; 25th February 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 25th February 2015, 11:41 PM
Friend

This is just theory on my part, Georg but if you want black borders and your neg mask is plastic then the ideal solution may be to find a workshop/factory that has a laser cutter. These days schools often have such cutters in their design and technology departments

They are absolutely accurate and will cut a square or any other shape perfectly

Mike
Old 26th February 2015, 02:48 AM
Friend

durst neg holders allow you to put glass above and below the neg instead of specific size metal neg masks which means you can cut a mask from any thin but opaque plastic and put it in the glass sandwich on top of or below the neg.

And L1200 and some other Durst enlargers (I think) have pin registration system built into neg holder. So if you cut your neg mask to fit pins its easy to center it so you just have to postion your neg to its center without having to worry about the mask moving.

The neg holders built in sliding masks can also be used but they are far enough away from neg that the edges are feathered/blurred a little.

suggest you find someone with a durst near to you and ask to look at neg holder. L1200 is good and M805 should be good too.
Old 26th February 2015, 11:22 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I use a Durst M800 and the neg. holder (Durst Setoneg) aperture that holds the glasses is 9×6.5 cm. There are four movable blades to reduce this aperture if necessary on the complete unit although I actually find it more convenient to use a holder where these have been removed as has the lifting handle (I use a black cardboard with aperture cut to size for 6×6 or 6×4.5 negatives in the slider slot but have the glassless Durst negative masks for 35mm). When making large prints (12"×16") from 35mm I use the top mask with black tape over the position locating holes and glass in the bottom).

Incidentally my M8OO does not have a filter drawer and I place the larger Multigrade Filters, cut down to size and mounted in a pair of black cardboard cut-outs, on top of the condenser. I do not use a heat filter glass with a 150 Watt bulb with no problem that I am aware of.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 26th February 2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: More info. added
Old 26th February 2015, 12:04 PM
Friend

Thanks for the help!

Martin, I've had a 6x6-Kaiser around 1998 (don't recall the exact model) and had trouble with the column. It just didn't felt solid. I really don't wanna downrate Kaiser-enlargers, but would prefer something else.

Mike O'Pray, thank you, yes, laser-cutting would be my first choice if I have to enlarge the "aperture" of a negative-mask or -carrier.

Argentum, thank you. A friend will have a closer look at a used L1200 for me, there's also one L1200 in my hometown available for a visual inspection and maybe some "fondling" (checking ergonomics and get impressions about real-world size and handling).

Mike Heller, thanks for pointing me at the M800. The effective negative-size of my 6x9-negs is about 55-56x82-85mm, so the "Setoneg" should have be large enough.

I have my eyes on the Agfa Varioscop 60 and Focomat IIc-models, anyone here with experience with those lovely old-timers?
Old 26th February 2015, 12:27 PM
Friend

The 5x4 masks on the L1200 do not have any registration pins as standard. The smaller masks do have a couple of pins, but these are generally used to locate the negative.

I believe there was a carrier & pin registration system available from Durst, but I've never seen one in the flesh. Alistair Inglis will make a custom system for you, but it does get expensive.... Just for printing the full width of a negative, it is probably just as quick and easy to cut a piece of mount board to size.

GeorgS: If you progress from lusting and fondling, the L1200 is a fine bit of kit and well worth getting (if the price is right).
Old 26th February 2015, 01:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
The 5x4 masks on the L1200 do not have any registration pins as standard. The smaller masks do have a couple of pins, but these are generally used to locate the negative.

I believe there was a carrier & pin registration system available from Durst, but I've never seen one in the flesh. Alistair Inglis will make a custom system for you, but it does get expensive.... Just for printing the full width of a negative, it is probably just as quick and easy to cut a piece of mount board to size.

GeorgS: If you progress from lusting and fondling, the L1200 is a fine bit of kit and well worth getting (if the price is right).
Its not the mask which has the pins. It is the neg holder itself on an L1200 which has pins.

Its not a requirement to use the pin registration but it is an option.

For the L1200 there were two glass inserts available, the Femogla which is clear and for under the negative and the Femogla AN which is the anti newton version for on top of neg.

I guess the M805 ( and probably the 800 ) had similar available.
Old 26th February 2015, 01:11 PM
Friend

Paul and Argentum - thank you.

Just googled "Femoneg" - the combination of AN-glass on top and a metal mask* below seems to be the most useful combination for my purposes.

*) to suit the negative-format, maybe "enlarged" to get the black border

Are the registration pin's actually "back-stops" to make the positioning of the film-stripes more easy or "real" registration pin's for critical work?
Old 26th February 2015, 01:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Its not the mask which has the pins. It is the neg holder itself on an L1200 which has pins.
I suspect we may be using similar terms to describe the same item. I refer to a FEMONEG as a mask (perhaps incorrectly). I don't know if the pins are suitable for registration purposes for critical work such as unsharp masks - I've only ever used them as back stops to locate the film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies