Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2015, 02:57 PM
Friend

Default Gossen Profisix sbc light meter repair......

Hi,
I have spent the last couple of days searching the internet/forums looking for somewhere to get this meter repaired without any luck.
Does anyone know if these meters are still repairable? and where to send it?
The meter itself sort of works, needle goes to the middle of the battery test area when tested, but will only move under strong light,
also the dial to null the needle has no effect (it will turn continuously round and round, is it meant to do that?)
I bought it along with 2 other meters a Leningrad 4 and Western Master V for £11 as spares repairs to see what they where like to use.
The Western is dead and the Leningrad is half dead, sunny day is EV11 according to it!
Any help is much appreciated as I quite like the Gossen and would like to get it to work again.
Old 21st August 2015, 05:16 AM
Friend

Hi Carl
I have a Gossen Starlight and when it needed repair I contacted Gossen they suggested I sent it back to them for estimate which I did the quote was acceptable so they repaired it excellent service. May I suggest you look for their details on google and contact by e-mail I'm sure you'll find them helpful.
Richard
Old 21st August 2015, 11:21 AM
Friend

I don't know about repairs, but I can tell you how it is meant to work. You press the button on the left side, and the needle should move, assuming it can see some light. Turning the dial moves the needle left or right so that you can zero it. The reading is held for several seconds, then the meter switches off and the needle should fall back to the left of scale. I use the Lunasix F which is similar. On it, you can push in the reading button and rotate it clockwise to lock it for continuous readings. There is also a smaller button for flash operation. I can't recall if the Profisix has that. Working examples of both these meters can be found at reasonable prices. You would need to check whether the repair cost was worth it, although if Gossen do it, you would at least be certain that your example was fixed and reliable. They are really good meters, and easy to use.
Alex.
Old 21st August 2015, 09:41 PM
Friend

thanks for the help, I have emailed Gossen to see if they still service/repair them. It only has 2 buttons, one to turn the meter on. the other is a battery test button.
Old 27th August 2015, 12:15 PM
Friend

Have received an e-mail from Gossen, sorry it is impossible to service/repair these light meters anymore.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for possible places to get it looked at?
Old 27th August 2015, 01:13 PM
Friend

There was a trader on eBay UK selling spares for Gossen meters. If I recall correctly, they also sold some refurbished meters. It might be worth contacting them. If you look at the category for meters (within studio and lighting, I think) you may see it there, or under camera spares. The listings are for Gossen meter parts.
Alex.
Old 27th August 2015, 01:16 PM
Friend

The trader is gossenparts (969) and seems to be based in Exeter.
Alex
Old 27th August 2015, 02:33 PM
Friend

I had my Weston Master II repaired by George Milton at Quality Light Metric. great job,now it'll last longer than I will.

He doesn't have a website but Quality Light Metric in Hollywood,California,USA. Phone number is 323-467-2265.

E-mail was georgepmilton@worldnet.att.net

Address:
7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
Los Angeles
California, US 90028
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies