Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th October 2018, 01:18 PM
Friend

I saw it demonstrated in a book about night photography by Andrew Sanderson. It seemed to be useful for achieving a greater range of highlight tones. There are examples in that book, although it’s a while since I looked at it. The obvious conclusion from the sample images, however, was that the Pyro developer could bring out more detail in scenes featuring streetlights and similar types of illumination. I don’t think the author had any reason to promote this developer over others, so I assume his results gave a fair view of the comparison. I will try to get started with it soon and report back.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8th October 2018, 04:42 PM
Friend

I read Andrew's book (from a library) but it was a long time ago and I didn't know my Adox from my Efke back then. Pyro would have gone right over my head. It would be great if you could do a comparison of pyro against Perceptol or Barry Thornton two-bath but I know from personal experience what a pain that sort of thing is.
Old 8th October 2018, 06:08 PM
Friend

I will try to do that. I think there are people on FADU who have experience of using Pyro developers. I’m sure there was a recent thread about it. That was also part of the reason I got it.
Alex

Old 8th October 2018, 09:49 PM
Friend

I use PMK exclusively now.
My preferred film for many years was PanF, which I liked in Aculux. When Aculux became unavailable I tried Ilfosol and Rodinal. Ilfosol was Ok but didn't keep well, Rodinal I just didn't like teh grain structure.
PMK suited PanF really well (even though it doesn't stain much) and I eventually worked through EI's and dev times for HP5, Fomapan 100 and SFX 200 which I also used.
Fomapan I've discontinued, and now I use HP5 in 35mm, 120, and 5x4- it stains well and prints beautifully on Ilford MG papers.
I stick with PMK because I know it, and how it works with the films I like. It keeps well, cost is OK, and frankly I couldn't be arsed changing developer again and going through testing all over again.
I have read variously that the stain doesn't matter, that it only matters on graded papers, that it's counterproductive on VC papers . . .
I use both VC and Graded paper. My stained negs work perfectly well on both. Perhaps some more discerning printers can see a difference, I don't.
Choice of developer is part of a system. Film, dev and papers all combine in slightly different ways, so if you find something which works for you I'd say stick with it. I would love to have time to really work on my technique and be a better printer, but for now I'm sufficiently happy with PMK I don't want to look further.

Brock- if anyone ever fancied a really big project, I suspect that some film/ dev combinations suit some papers better than others. PanF + PMK + Ilford MG WT paper works so well, and prints so easily, it feels like I'm cheating. Anyone fancy trying a giant comparative test??
Old 8th October 2018, 10:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Anyone fancy trying a giant comparative test??
I’ve often thought about a film dev swop. We could easily send a roll of exposed film to be processed by a fellow fadu member in their developer of choice. Although in some combo’s, it might not necessarily work out to be any/much cheaper than doing it yourself.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th October 2018, 04:49 AM
Friend

Marty, that's an interesting and fairly off the wall idea.
Effective film speed can vary with developing time, so I'm imagining using 120 film or short (24 exp) 135, with bracketed exposures over and under. That way, the dev time given wold suit some frames, and give an EI for the film.
With 120 you could contact the film on different papers and have images just big enough to compare.
Only question is, how would we share those results? Something like a portfolio we could circulate? There are postal print portfolios which circulate between members, so not without precedent.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:23 AM
Friend

I’m pleased to hear PMK works with VC papers, Colin. Can I ask which fixer you use? The instructions suggest an alkaline fixer is best, but I wondered if normal, non-hardening fixers would be ok. Thanks,
Alex

Old 9th October 2018, 06:56 PM
Friend

Good evening Alex.
I've been using Ilford Hypam for quite a while now.
You'll find some films stain more than others.
SFX negligible, PanF very light, Rollei IR 400 obvious, Fomapan 100 and HP5 very obvious.
Haven't tried Acros or any Kodak materials. I've just browsed the gallery; you seem to use quire an eclectic mix of films, and I'm curious how about how the delta films turn out.
Have fun experimenting.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Good evening Alex.

I've been using Ilford Hypam for quite a while now.

You'll find some films stain more than others.

SFX negligible, PanF very light, Rollei IR 400 obvious, Fomapan 100 and HP5 very obvious.

Haven't tried Acros or any Kodak materials. I've just browsed the gallery; you seem to use quire an eclectic mix of films, and I'm curious how about how the delta films turn out.

Have fun experimenting.

Thanks, Colin! I have used a range of films, but seem to be moving towards HP5 and Delta 100. The Kodak materials have sadly become very expensive. I will definitely try Delta 100 in PMK at some point and report back.
Alex

Old 15th October 2018, 08:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Good work David. I had toyed with the idea of getting Ethol LPD paper developer but the hassle and cost seemed a bit high in relation to the benefits. At 1$ to 1£, does this cover all costs except naturally the despatch cost within the U.K. so that if LPD is say $20 this is £20 to me plus delivery from your location in the U.K. to mine?
I have had confirmation from PF that they will be able to send a number of small kits out by airmail for a not too unreasonable price. Clearly, I will have VAT importation cost on top which I include within my selling price.

If there are enough takers then I can make an order. This is for dry chemicals only. Please note that I do not get a discount on some of the products (eg products containing gold chloride) and some require DEA clearance, so these will be a no-no!

The price will be approximately the same in £ as PF's cost in $ on their website. Any order will need the following: Name of Product, PF's SKU number, kit size and quantity.

I need at least 10 items to be able to make an order and I will ask for prepayment prior to confirming the order with PF. I would like to think that you would have your chemicals within 2 weeks of my confirming the order with PF.

David
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies