Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th January 2021, 03:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
...a while ago, in 1919, I was shooting a daytime Christmas parade...'

Richard
Wow! Do you still get a yearly card from Queenie, once you past the 100 year mark Richard, as you'll be 102 this year I presume?

Terry S
Old 8th January 2021, 03:49 PM
Administrator

My "favourite" was developing 4 or 5 rolls of 120 in a large Paterson tank and pouring out the stop and then without engaging the brain, unscrewing the top off and popping the tube in to start washing. Took me about 5 seconds to realise I had not fixed them yet (including the obligatory cartoon style double-take at the jug of fixer sitting ready and waiting in the sink). After fixing, a surprisingly large number survived OK but I did not enjoy the sinking feeling when I suddenly realised what I had done...

Last edited by Bob; 8th January 2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 8th January 2021, 04:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Wow! Do you still get a yearly card from Queenie, once you past the 100 year mark Richard, as you'll be 102 this year I presume?

Terry S
Not quite that old, it's these pesky computers, won't do what I want, should have been 2019, the last Christmas parade before the dreaded Covid got us, Maybe next december I might get another chance vaccine permitting
Richard
Old 8th January 2021, 05:29 PM
Friend

I went away for a weeks photography holiday and left my tripod behind.

I put it down in a place that was behind the open front door, so when I did the final look round, it remained hidden.

I was about 4 hours up the M6 when my wife sent me a text message.

Rather than turn around and pick it up, I bought a replacement instead.

The weather was poor and the light was terrible all week - so the whole thing was a complete washout.

Perhaps the weeks photographic holiday was never meant to be.

Martin
Old 8th January 2021, 06:22 PM
Friend

I have made most of the mistakes listed here. I once failed to load the film properly in my OM1, so it didn't wind on, and didn't record the 36 masterpieces I thought I was taking. Only last week I processed an important roll of HP5 with developer diluted with dilute fixer -and not water as I thought. I have double-exposed sheets of 5x4 film. And developed sheets of 5x4 film that I thought I'd exposed but hadn't.
But the biggest mistake I have ever made was deciding to photograph the infant River Dane at Three Shires Head. It had been exceptionally cold for over a week and I knew there would be some interesting icy boulders in the stream. It was a long walk down from the parked car but when I reached the river I knew it was worth it, or so I thought.
I had a twin lens reflex camera on a tripod, and waded into the almost freezing water to photograph a boulder with a big cap of ice on it. Looking down at the viewfinder with the camera angled forward wasn't easy, and I had to lean right over to see the picture. You've guessed what happened! I leaned too far forward and fell. Thinking about the camera I managed to grab it and, twisting round, held it above the water, but I fell in full-length. Apart from my head, I was completely underwater. And it was barely 1 degree C. I'm still nor sure how I managed the one mile walk back to the car, or the forty minute drive home. Ad when I did get home you can imagine what my wife said....

Alan
Old 8th January 2021, 08:28 PM
Friend

Alan, I can imagine what my Wife would say, but the main thing is that the TLR was all right
Richard
Old 8th January 2021, 11:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
it's these pesky computers, won't do what I want, should have been 2019,
Richard
Ah 2019 that's a relief. I recall the Festival of Remembrance in the 1950s on TV when the then not so old ex WWI soldiers paraded at the Albert Hall on the Saturday before Remembrance Sunday to the tune of "We're The Boys of the Old Brigade" and wondered if you were the only one left at say 120

Mike
Old 10th January 2021, 01:29 PM
Friend

I still make plenty of mistakes and often the same ones

David
Old 10th January 2021, 04:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
I still make plenty of mistakes and often the same ones

David
You know what they say about the man who never makes a mistake - he does s*d all !

As long as we all smile and laugh about it - then no harm done.

Even though they were bound to be the best photographs you have ever taken

Martin
Old 10th January 2021, 06:14 PM
Friend

Yes, mistakes happen, but why does it happen to the best photographs we have ever taken, and often can't repeat,? it has happened to me more times than I like to think about, Thats why I asked the question, Made another one yesterday, poured out developer, then instead of pouring in stop I poured in fixer, then after a few seconds poured in the stop for 3 minutes, poured out the stop, did the Ilford wash cycle and put the films up to dry, it was plain straight away that I had done something wrong, then realized, fixer bottle has red top, stop has black top, I was processing in the lounge, watching Donald Trumps attempt at insurection, and had taken the tops of of both bottles,so I blame Donald J trump, but they would have been the best still lives I had ever taken, Oh well, these things happen
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies