Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st August 2022, 09:57 AM
Friend

Default Developing XP2 super in B&W chem

OK, I know its a sin but I got a slightly expired (2020)100ft bulk roll for less than the equivalent roll of foma400. Developing in C41 isn't an option just now, so, B&W chem it is. I tried HC110 1:49 for 10mins @ 20°c and it was quite good (see image). This was the first few frames on the roll so I wasn't expecting perfect. My favourite dilution is B (1:31) so that may be next. However, I really fancy trying Rodinal. The times on the massive dev chart for rodders are a bit all over the place. 1:25 is 18mins and 1:50 is 20. Something is clearly not right. Does anyone have experience of this film in rodinal?

Footnote. By all accounts it works great in caffenol

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 1st August 2022, 01:24 PM
Friend

If you root around a bit you will find more than one thread here that refers to developing XP2 Super in B&W chemistry. A useful article, originally noted here by MartyNL, can be found here. Since reading that I have exposed the film at 100 ISO and developed it in either HC-110 (B) or Ilfotec HC 1+31, getting negatives that aren't too contrasty printed.
Old 1st August 2022, 01:35 PM
Friend

Ah, you got to recommend this particular article before I could Michael.

I was also going to suggest to PeteK to read a previous thread on FADU, about developing XP2 in B/W chemicals, but neither FADU's search engine or Duck Duck or Google can find it... Can anyone who contributed find it easily? (Note that it may be of no help, but I always read FADU suggestions first, as they are less quirky(?!) than other sites replies... Well, usually.

Edit: Michael says that MartyNL started a / the thread (in question?) If so, can you easily find it Marty?

Also whilst searching and re-reading, I also came across this thread that addresses the issue, unlike so many link titles that lure you in and tell you nothing at the end...

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/tag/xp2-...ite-chemistry/

Terry S
Old 1st August 2022, 02:29 PM
Friend

The thread I was thinking about dates from 2018 and Marty's post is no. 14. Lots of others chipped in. You can find it here.

I should add that XP2 Super is now always in one of my loaders. I did try a batch of the Bellini kit on it last year but found it less convenient that way (the results were fine, though).
Old 1st August 2022, 03:11 PM
Friend

Well HC110 and XP2 Super seems to be a favourite combo. There's certainly a Photrio member who from his scans certainly seem to make it work very well. This was a few years ago and I cannot recall his name now

Mike
Old 1st August 2022, 05:47 PM
Friend

There are some good reads there FADU is where i go to first too I have seen the ilford article and threads in photrio and on Flickr and this was the first i have seen that advocates shooting at 100. the problem is i bought it in the hope that i would be getting a film that was usable at 400. i am in a win win situation though as having seen the images (Michael, was that church gateway yours?) shooting it at 100 will produce excellent images. i have a second test roll nearly done, yeah, shot at 400 again lol. i am leaning towards trying it in a stronger dilution of HC110 (1:31). Rodinal and Caffenol are both on the test list but i would be guessing dev time for Rodders. i will try stand at some point, possibly with the caffenol. At the end of the day it has shifted status, hopefully temporarily, to a big roll of experiments. i have some Fomapan200 which is easily my favourite Foma so i have safe film for important shoots, as for the XP2, i will keep playing (which i love doing) and i will post the results on here. I am in danger of preferring film to digital which will do my Lancaster Photographic society competition scores no good at all, but film is just so wonderful

this was the negative of the above image, scanned with a digital camera and a Pixl-latr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PKKP0930 copy Large.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	4448  

Last edited by PeteK; 1st August 2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 1st August 2022, 06:27 PM
Friend

Pete, look at the captions under the photos in Chris Moss's article and you will see examples of both exposing at 400 and also developing in Rodinal.
Old 1st August 2022, 07:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Pete, look at the captions under the photos in Chris Moss's article and you will see examples of both exposing at 400 and also developing in Rodinal.
Chris's article gave me the confidence to buy the bulk roll but I hadn't spotted the dev details under the images yeah I am dozy Charles's article also has some great developing info. I am reluctant to do stand with rodders as I havent had results that I was happy with. My friend had amazing results stand developing xp2 in caffenol so that is on the list but I want to try a couple of rolls using lower dilutions (hc110 1:31, rodders 1:25) just to see what happens bulk loading is so good. I love experimenting and having a bulk loader makes it inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:02 AM
Friend

I have used XP2s lots of times in HC110 it produces some nicely toned negatives it also prints very well in the darkroom

The link below will take you to an article I wrote on how it went it also mentions the Ilford blog post along with some others you may find help full there is also a part two on how the printing turned out.

XP2s cross processed

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:55 PM
Friend

Brilliant, thank you.

I processed a couple of rolls, one in Rodinal 1:25 for 11 minutes @20c and one in HC110, 1:31 for 5:30 also at 20c. The rodinal was a little over exposed whilst the HC110 was a little under cooked. The bridge is HC110
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PKKP1059 Large.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	4449   Click image for larger version

Name:	PKKP1011 Large.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	4450  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies