Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2010, 05:47 PM
Friend

Default Which filters ?

The last time I used filters I had some of the Cokin P type with holder etc. I am now looking for a new set and wanted to ask what people use or recommend. I will be looking at getting the normal black and white filters and a grad or two although maybe not all at once.

Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:43 PM
Friend

Hi Paulie,

Many people use the Lee filter system though it's relatively expensive (though expansive).

Personally, I use Cokin P and Wratten gels, though a lot of it will depend on what filter sizes you will use/need.

I think the Cokin P adapter rings only go as far as 82mm. I'm not sure about Lee.

Mike
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:10 PM
Friend

I changed from Cokin Xpro to 67mm Hoya and B&W filters. My Bronica lenses are all 67mm and I bought a series of step up rings to bring my LF lenses to 67mm. Far more portable than the Xpro's which were housed in a large case. That said there was nothing wrong with the Cokin filters in terms of sharpness or flare. Its just that the round filters are far more portable.
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:13 PM
Friend

For grads I have a set of Lee's hard & soft with a lee filter holder

I use screw in 77mm Hoya filters for yellow, orange, red and infrared

Most of my lenses have a 77mm filter thread, for the lenses that dont I buy a step up ring

I buy a 77mm step up ring and a 77mm lens cap for each lens (only a few pound on ebay). I leave the step up ring on the lens and use the 77mm lens caps I get on ebay which fit into the step up rings perfectly

M
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:21 PM
Friend

I used to use a set of Hoya round glass filters,one set and either stepping rings or the old standby of a little blu tac, this way one set fits all, it depends what lenses you are using, but I prefer optical glass,These days I use either a set of Rollei B1 or a set of smaller push on filters as I mostly use tlr's or folders,but I still carry a bit of blu tac,Richard
Old 8th August 2010, 05:07 PM
Friend

I have been looking at the Lee stuff but it sure is pricey but you get what you pay for I guess. Was also thinking about the bigger Cokin pro ones.

I have also seen ads a few times in B+W photography for Kood filters.

I like the square filters as they are quicker to change than screw on but then if I am taking a landscape for example I won't exactly be in a hurry. Only problem is a 40mm bronica lens has a 95mm thread where as the 80 and 150 have 67mm so I am leaning more towards square slot ins.
Old 8th August 2010, 06:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
I have been looking at the Lee stuff but it sure is pricey but you get what you pay for I guess. Was also thinking about the bigger Cokin pro ones.

I have also seen ads a few times in B+W photography for Kood filters.

I like the square filters as they are quicker to change than screw on but then if I am taking a landscape for example I won't exactly be in a hurry. Only problem is a 40mm bronica lens has a 95mm thread where as the 80 and 150 have 67mm so I am leaning more towards square slot ins.
One problem to watch for with filtering the 40mm is vignetting due to the apparent extra filter thickness at the lens edges.
Old 8th August 2010, 06:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
One problem to watch for with filtering the 40mm is vignetting due to the apparent extra filter thickness at the lens edges.
I can't say I've had that problem. I've a Rodenstock Orange, bought at a camera fair, (the only filter I could afford) and haven't seen any.

Finding a hood was a problem on a budget so I made one from something else. with guidance from an old Focal Press book "Optics"
Total cost 99 pence.

With both orange and UV in place I don't use the hood as then vignetting could occur.

Paul
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies