Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2013, 06:34 PM
Friend

Default Essex meet...?

I've been pondering on some excuses to combine some photography and beer for a FADU meet and keep returning to re-photography idea.
There is a book, published in 1935, called the Old Inns of England by A. E. Richardson... need I say more?
There are, contained within, many photographs of inns to explore and 're-photograph' all around the country, but the frontpiece (in fact a watercolour) is in Witham in Essex, so I thought that might be a place to start.
The Spread Eagle, like so many, is now a restaurant, but it's still there.

So would anyone else be interested in a meet and starting a bit of a project? There are quite a few inns photographed in the book so pleanty to explore but it had to start somewhere and Witham is just down the road for me. There are also two from the book in Brentwood so it might be an idea to start in Witham and then head off to Brentwood which is only 25 minutes down the A12.

Or maybe this is a daft idea...

Old 1st July 2013, 08:00 PM
Friend

Default Essex:

I don't want you to think I am not interested, but due to my current health problems, I feel I can't make the trip as it would be a nearly three hour train journey travelling via Liverpool St., or Ipswich.

A road journey is out for reasons mentioned at Peterborough.

Hope to see you again at Ely in September and all goes well for your trip.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:00 PM
Friend

Default Correct name for a 'group of FADU members'?

I live in Southend on Sea in Essex and have always hoped a meet-up would be on the cards one day.

Like Alan, I'm a bit limited to how far I can drive (=not very far most days, so say about 25 tops on a good day).

But I'm putting my name down if you or others are within a certain radius.

I think it's a great idea btw.

Any chance of listing some of the others at all, especially ones within my reach, where hopefully I'd meet even just one or two fellow FADU-ers? (Is that the correct name for a group of FADU members?

Terry S
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:01 PM
Friend

Alan... yes, I'm sure I'll see you in Ely.

Terry, it would be great to meet you. Both Witham and Brentwood are just about within your limit. The others in the book from Essex are a bit further away from you.

The list for Essex is...
Witham - The Spread Eagle
Brentwood - The White Hart and The Fleece
Chigwell - Kings Head
Colchester - Red Lion
Waltham Cross - Four Swans

Every county in England is represented, I think, so the is plenty of scope for visits elsewhere too on other occasions. I thought it would be good to start closer to home though.
Old 3rd July 2013, 05:26 PM
Friend

Being now the possessor of a bus pass, I only use the car if I have to. It can be irksome finding a parking space and then having to refrain from alcoholic beverages. I can, however, get to Witham by bus any day but Sunday.
You can get a decent pint in the Wetherspoon pub a couple of hundred yards from the restaurant pictured. It's called The Battesford Court. Pity that building isn't still a pub, the year 1300 is displayed on the front.
Let me know about the Wiham meet - I might be able to make Colchester too.
Old 9th July 2013, 05:49 PM
Friend

So not too much interest then. We could make it a small gathering of three? Either Witham or Colchester...

Or, as an alternative, we have a very nice windmill in Stansted that I could offer a tour of and the opportunity to spend some time there photographing.

I spent some time documenting a recent rennovation which you can see here. It'll give an idea of what the place is like.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
There is a book, published in 1935, called the Old Inns of England by A. E. Richardson... need I say more?
There are, contained within, many photographs of inns to explore and 're-photograph' all around the country, but the frontpiece (in fact a watercolour) is in Witham in Essex, so I thought that might be a place to start.
I'm sorry to say Essex is a little too far for me, but I love re-photographing buildings and scenery to form a "then and now" comparison shot. I wish you all the best with your project.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:39 AM
Friend

Just wanted to keep this thread current and hopefully will make one of the meets when a date is arranged.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies