Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd March 2021, 05:38 PM
Friend

Default Fomaspeed Variant RC Matt

There has been some chat recently about Matt surface papers. I have just received an email from Silverprint with an interesting offer. 50 sheets of this paper in 8x10 for 20 GBP. The offer is on until midnight 25 March.
I haven’t tried this particular paper, but it looks like a good way to sample RC Matt. (I don’t have any connection with Silverprint or Foma).
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:52 PM
Administrator

And Foma is 100 years old this year so an extra incentive to celebrate!
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
There has been some chat recently about Matt surface papers. I have just received an email from Silverprint with an interesting offer. 50 sheets of this paper in 8x10 for 20 GBP. The offer is on until midnight 25 March.
).
Alex.

Given that Foma products usually have the edge on price compared to U.K. I have never worked out why Foma paper always appeared expensive vis a vis its film and was sold in such small quantities such as packs of 10

Now at last we have one retailer selling it, albeit as a strict time-limited offer, at a price that becomes attractive

Looks like a reasonable bet to me Alex

Mike
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:04 AM
Friend

Please keep in mind: Foma seem using color print base for it b/w materials. The only producer (i know) of b/w base is Schöller. If you compare the paper: Foma base is slightly thinner, so it must be another material.
Foma RC (not Baryta) tends to silver out when presented. I have a bunch of such photographs here. There are no problems however, if you store them in darkness. And look at them from time to time. Problems may be less if you present them unframed.

The problems arise from the TiO2, which makes the RC layer white. Baryta cannot be used for that. TiO2 reacts with the silver when there is "energy", that means light. The problem is well known and discussed in Cteins book Post Exposure.

To make things clear: Foma Baryta is a beautiful material without any problems. Silvering occurs at RC only.
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
Please keep in mind: Foma seem using color print base for it b/w materials. : Foma base is slightly thinner, so it must be another material.
Foma RC (not Baryta) tends to silver out when presented. I have a bunch of such photographs here. There are no problems however, if you store them in darkness. . The problem is well known and discussed in Cteins book Post Exposure.

To make things clear: Foma Baryta is a beautiful material without any problems. Silvering occurs at RC only.
This is information I was unaware of and I don't recall any of this being said on Photrio either where most things that can be said be those things accurate or otherwise have been said

It puts Foma RC in a different perspective for me with its silvering problem and certainly makes it much less attractive compared to the likes of Ilford

Uwe how old were your prints before they began to silver and can you be sure that the problem has not been solved by Foma

If it has not then I am certainly no longer interested in its paper as I am only a RC paper user.

Mike
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:49 PM
Friend

You have to be quick - for just checking, it's now all sold out.

I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone who managed to buy some though.

Terry S
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:32 PM
Friend

I’ve only experienced slivering once, and the affected print was Ilford FB Warmtone. It was the original version, purchased soon after its release.
Alex.

Old 24th March 2021, 05:41 AM
Friend

> Uwe how old were your prints before they began to silver and can you be sure that the problem has not been solved by Foma

The shortest period was a couple of week in an exhibition. It was only in the beginning and should not have bothered the visitors. But it bothered me.

More important are photographs from the family. They stand for years "at the TV", your nice photographs of the grandchildren. Bute at one day, they are complete ruined. I use only baryta for this kind of give away photos. Please keep in mind: You don't have any impact at photographs you gave away. An exhibition photograph may be substituted.

Because of these problems I don't buy Foma RC for some years. So I don't know for secure whether something was changed.

It is said, that even slight selenium toning or even Sistan stabilisation prevents photographs form silvering.
Old 24th March 2021, 05:45 AM
Friend

Here a few links form Apug:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...6/#post-710720

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...vering.155788/

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...-print.115367/

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...5/#post-702006
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies