Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2012, 12:18 PM
Friend

Default Hoya filters

It appears that HOYA has redesigned their website in the last week. It will take a bit of getting used to.

I did notice that the IR72 (infra-red filters) are now just R72. I wonder if this is a revision in the specification as 900nm is mentioned when I thought that the frequency of 720nm was significant.

Perhaps there are other changes or revisions?
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:54 PM
Friend

This sounds strange and confusing. As I and you understood things 72 referred to 720nm as the cut off. If the R72 is now a 900nm cut off then films like Ilfords SFX will not work with this rating. In fact don't most IR films except for the defunct Kodak HIE require cut off below 900nm to work?

You to Hoya: Why have your redesigned things on your website? I find it confusing

Hoya to you: Our marketing nerds discovered that most users found things too straightforward in the past and the current "zeitgeist" demands confusion. Yes, we do realise that this may not sit well with you but you probably belong to a generation which hasn't got long to go

Sorry but I needed that rant

Mike
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:30 PM
Friend

suggest you actually read waht it says on their site which tells you the numbers
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:44 PM
Friend

Default Hoya Filters:

I have been back on the Hoya website.

I suppose it is possible that they may have brought out a new filter, the RM90, to do the 900nm cut off. But there is no mention of it anywhere (yet?). The links to their previous catalogue information has been cut.

I was planning to load my first roll of SFX400 and use a red 25A filter and go out later this week. Perhaps I should hold back until I know more?

Someone, the other day tried to tell me that when these films are developed, there is a need to use a stainless steel tank. I don't see that this makes any difference and must be an attempt at a wind up.
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:52 PM
Friend

looks clear as daylight to me.

http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/produ...fraredr72rm90/
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJones View Post
Someone, the other day tried to tell me that when these films are developed, there is a need to use a stainless steel tank. I don't see that this makes any difference and must be an attempt at a wind up.
Yes I've heard that before. That's the web for you.
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:04 PM
Friend

Two filters referenced on that page, the R72 which has a 720nm cutoff, and the RM90 which is a 900nm cutoff - If one speed reads, it is easy to see how the confusion might arise.

Quote:
Someone, the other day tried to tell me that when these films are developed, there is a need to use a stainless steel tank.
Possibly based on the misguided notion that a plastic tank passes a certain amount of IR light - Hogwash & balderdash. If this was indeed true, then the film manufacturers would put warnings in the processing literature.

Last edited by paulc; 22nd October 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
I was planning to load my first roll of SFX400 and use a red 25A filter and go out later this week.
I have used SFX with a 25A in strong sunlight near the sea and got black skies and black water with just a hint of otherworldliness in the scene. The shot included unlit outdoor lamp globes in brilliant sunshine and looking at the print it could have been brilliant sunshine or brilliant moonlight

So a 25A is quite effective but the so-called wood effect of white/silvery leaves and grass was completely missing. If you want that then the R72 is needed.

I have never used a R72 but from what I have read a wide angle lens such as a 28mm in 35mm will give you the depth of field you need to use an aperture such as f5.6 which will give shutter speeds that mean that handheld shots are just about possible.

Have fun

Mike
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:10 PM
Friend

As alternatives to the Hoya R72 you might also be interested in;
Heliopan rg715

or

B+W 092 OR 093

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th November 2012, 01:54 PM
Friend

Default Hoya filters:

Thanks for the replies. I quite expect it is a case of the RM90 filter the Hoya publicity dept releasing details of a new or planned item before it is actually released. Time will tell eventually...... Perhaps the parent company Kenko already does or did the RM90 and we may be seeing a coming together of the ranges, but this is not apparent from the Kenko site as very filters are shewn and is speculation on my part. (I do have a Kenko K3 yellow that I bought when working in Hong Kong 15 years ago and their range then was quite large and different to Hoya.

One thing I found surprising was that Kenko are still (marketing new) 35mm SLR bodies but with mounts to suit the lenses of other manufacturers. No doubt that someone will want to expand this topic, but not I. Now back to infra-red.

For 35mm, I have a Zuiko 28mm lens that I was planning to use on some of my SFX400 shots as well as the standard lens for my OM cameras and will also take my tripod and light meter. I have both an IR72 and a 25A to fit 58mm lens threads and a converter to bring it down to 49mm.

For the 120, it looks as if I will be stuck with a standard 80mm Mamiya 645 Sekor C with a 58mm thread. (I don't have 67mm filters for my 45mm wide angle lens.) A tripod will have to be used here. As with the 35mm film, the subject matter will be views using the infinity setting.

Thanks for clearing up the developing tank situation, I thought it was a wind up, but will now think of an equally or more plausible response.

This is my first foray into infra-red and it is just possible that I have mis-understood something and not a case of speed reading. In Argentums post the link given to the Hoya site shows a transmission curve for the IR72 only. No mention made or listing for the other filter.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies