Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2013, 10:54 PM
Friend

Default A civilised place

It's a long time since I posted on this forum as I have drifted in other directions.
I have just been reading the thread "My First Prints !!" started by Gareth and realise what a thoroughly civilised forum this is. All the replies were helpful and encouraging. This is in marked contrast to another forum I subscribe to on a totally different subject where the asking of a question by a newcomer is a signal for all manner of snide comments and put downs from more experienced members, guaranteed to deter people from further participation.
How refreshing. I'm pleased to renew my acquaintance.

Richard
Old 19th November 2013, 12:08 AM
Friend

Welcome back, Richard. I was going to say we jealousy guard our civilised approach but whereas that might have been the necessary case at the beginning we may have now reached a kind of critical mass where the civilised approach is now self perpetuating. Almost as if it is in the "nature of the beast"

Anyone who doesn't embrace this approach tends not to want to be here so isn't.

Long may this continue

Mike
Old 19th November 2013, 02:05 AM
Friend

I agree.
Old 19th November 2013, 08:36 AM
Friend

I agree as someone very new to film and the processes of developing and printing I have always had good advice and my problems have always been taken seriously well done FADU its a rare thing nowadays as there seems to be a trend in some other sites I visit to ridicule people who ask for help.

Erik
Old 19th November 2013, 09:16 AM
Friend

I'll put it down to the quiet and methodical nature required by darkroom work - you can't hurry quality and I think that most people who are still persisting in trying to get that great print they know exists in a less than optimum negative are by nature patient people!
Besides, as my Mum used to say "manners cost nothing" - like it or not, I would hazard a guess that most of us on FADU are from a different age
Old 19th November 2013, 02:14 PM
Friend

The only thing I would add to what has already been stated is that any contributor will know that you never stop learning. I don't care how long you've been at this hobby you can always pick up useful information from other contributors, however (in)experienced they may be.
Old 19th November 2013, 04:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
It's a long time since I posted on this forum as I have drifted in other directions.
I have just been reading the thread "My First Prints !!" started by Gareth and realise what a thoroughly civilised forum this is. All the replies were helpful and encouraging. This is in marked contrast to another forum I subscribe to on a totally different subject where the asking of a question by a newcomer is a signal for all manner of snide comments and put downs from more experienced members, guaranteed to deter people from further participation.
How refreshing. I'm pleased to renew my acquaintance.

Richard
Forums can be a real nest of Vipers. I am the administrator for one not connected with photography (no names) and when I took over it was worse than 'Hell in a Kindergarten! Unruley was the watchword and foul language common.

There were rules which no one took any notice of and now after having to be a bit heavy handed, sorry 'firm', sometimes with the worst ones, 3 years down the line, it is as polite as this one is. Questions and answers are always met with genuine help and new members are always welcomed. Our only problem is with persistent spam registrations.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Forums can be a real nest of Vipers. I am the administrator for one not connected with photography (no names) and when I took over it was worse than 'Hell in a Kindergarten! Unruley was the watchword and foul language common.

There were rules which no one took any notice of and now after having to be a bit heavy handed, sorry 'firm', sometimes with the worst ones, 3 years down the line, it is as polite as this one is. Questions and answers are always met with genuine help and new members are always welcomed. Our only problem is with persistent spam registrations.
If you use software that has a plug-in available from http://www.stopforumspam.com/ I strongly recommend it - it blocks about 100-150 automated spammer registrations a day here. We use captcha during registration and all initial posts are moderated and don't appear on the forum until released which takes care of most of those that do manage to get through the registration process (a couple per week - almost always individual human spammers rather than automated software). Where they have gotten through it has been operator error on our part when the moderation mechanism was not kept up to date...

Good work clearing the dross out of your forum - it can't have been easy!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 20th November 2013, 07:55 PM
Friend

True words indeed. This is one of the most civilized forums I've had the pleasure of involvement with.

I do think it comes down to the tone which is allowed to be set.

I know I wouldn't be wary of asking questions here and I'm not made to feel that my opinions and knowledge are somehow less worthy just because I'm a relative newcomer to the group and a relative beginner in the darkroom.

As Mike said, long may this continue!
Old 20th November 2013, 08:55 PM
Friend

I think that there are two reasons why ,,,one is that we are very nice people ,and two, we need each other, so we can keep film photography going ......

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies