Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2020, 09:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Have you got a link to any of those reciprocity apps or can recommend one?

Rob,

I mainly stick to the Les McLean one which covers most of the films I use. Sorry I haven't got a link as it was a few years ago. However, have a look on the net and you will find a good selection of these charts / tables. Also there are charts from the film manufactures.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th March 2020, 11:21 PM
Friend

Rob, Ilford have certainly simplified its reciprocity advice. I have never needed to use it so my examination of this subject may not be wholly reliable but I think that if you have an Ilford film all you might need is a very small card to give you the info you need

Neither am I an app user but if it is possible to store info on a phone then the info might be easily stored

Mike
Old 14th March 2020, 09:24 AM
Friend

Ilford Technical Information sheet Film Reiprocity Failure Compensation gives the details for Ilford Films.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...mpensation.pdf

You need to read the instructions carefully when applying the factor as you need to use the Xy button on the calculator.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Marlow; 14th March 2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 14th March 2020, 10:24 AM
Friend

In my experience the only manufacturer's recs you have to watch with reiprocity is Foma - but only on very long exposures.

The long Foma times tend to be too generous . Ian Grant has advised on this several times on FADU and he provides some good advice on Foma.

But at the end of the day some testing / adjusting of times for your own style and equipment shoild be expected.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th March 2020, 11:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Ilford Technical Information sheet Film Reiprocity Failure Compensation gives the details for Ilford Films.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...mpensation.pdf

You need to read the instructions carefully when applying the factor as you need to use the Xy button on the calculator.

Tony
Thanks Tony I had a nagging feeling that there was something else and it is the all important Xy button as you say. I wonder if this proves to be a problem without what used to be called a scientific calculator. Do iphones now have this ability to use Xy?

Mike
Old 14th March 2020, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Have you got a link to any of those reciprocity apps or can recommend one?
i have a app on ios (apple iphone) called "reciprocity timer" by pump interactive.

looking at the data published by ilford the times are not the same. For example a reading of 4secs on the app gives 8secs where when you calculate 4 sec with ilfords factor of 1.31 you get 6.14 seconds. i would presume ilfords data would be more trustworthy than the app. Wish i found the datasheet from ilford earlier
Old 14th March 2020, 12:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Tony I had a nagging feeling that there was something else and it is the all important Xy button as you say. I wonder if this proves to be a problem without what used to be called a scientific calculator. Do iphones now have this ability to use Xy?

Mike
Mike, I have an iPhone XR with a basic calculator, however if you turn the phone into landscape orientation the basic calculator becomes a scientific calculator with the all important Xy function.
Old 14th March 2020, 12:22 PM
Friend

Good news to know, Dave. Most people should be OK then. I do not possess this kind of a technological wonder. Until my son left his scientific calculator with me, having left school many years ago himself and no longer having any need for it, I thought that everything was contained in tables in a book such as logs, tans, sines etc

Mike
Old 14th March 2020, 12:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Good news to know, Dave. Most people should be OK then. I do not possess this kind of a technological wonder. Until my son left his scientific calculator with me, having left school many years ago himself and no longer having any need for it, I thought that everything was contained in tables in a book such as logs, tans, sines etc

Mike
For some reason I hung onto my log tables for years after I left school despite having no need for them and no love for them either
Old 14th March 2020, 01:05 PM
Friend

Ilford published the revised reciprocity tables last year. The Reciprocity Timer app seems to use the old recommendations. I don’t know if there’s any plan to update it. The times for other manufacturers films presumably remain as before.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies