Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2010, 07:10 AM
Friend

Default Hello from new member

Just like to say hi.

I am new to this forum. I live in the Highlands of Scotland, but was not born there. Originally I am from Germany but have lived here for the past two decades.

Not long ago I came back to the darkroom and manual cameras, which I love and have recently got into LF photography using an old MPP, that I modified to make it as light as possible for hillwalking and other hiking and cycling 'expeditions' and to get more lens tilt.

I like dramatic moody landscape shots usually (but not exclusively) with some signs of human presence in them, yet I am also still trying to understand what is meant by landscape.

I also like seascapes.

I also like still life.

I have got my own small darkroom with a De Vere 504 Dichromat enlarger, which I bought fairly cheap from the photograhy department of a hospital in Perth. However my darkroom work needs a lot more practice.

I am interested in analog photography because what counts for me is - as well as the visualised end result - the involved craft aspect of creating the image.

Perhaps my understanding of craft is old fashioned. Perhaps manipulation in photoshop are as much a craft as the work in the darkroom, yet I feel drawn to the darkroom and analog photography.

Perhaps it is the uncertainty of making an image on film. There is always (with me anyway) an anticipitation of whether I got it right when I took the shot.

And then there is the sometimes lengthy process of getting the print just right which not only involves theoretical knowledge but also hands-on experience.

What I am trying to say is that the whole process of taking pictures and making prints in analog photography is so involving and deliberate and it is this active involvement and deliberation that attracts me to this type of photography. I think what I want to say is that I feel more creatively involved.

Anyway whatever it is: I am drawn to the darkroom and to manual cameras and wish to become better at this craft and enhance my knowledge of it and this group seems to be able to offer some help when needed and plenty of inspiration judging by the images displayed here.

A bit of a lengthy introduction but perhaps it contributed a little to understanding 'where I'am coming from'.

Christian
Old 25th April 2010, 07:18 AM
Friend

Welcome, and many thanks for your introduction.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:43 AM
Friend

Hi Christian and welcome to fadu,Look forward to seeing some of your work and to your posts,Richard
Old 25th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome aboard the forums Christian.

Your observations concerning the enjoyment of the craft aspects of printing pretty much sums up my view too!

Have fun, Bob.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:13 PM
Friend

Hallo Christian,

Willkommen aus Deutschland (sprichst Du noch Deutsch?)
Schottland ist unsere ganze Liebe (s. MonoArt ;-), wir waren schon mindestens 12 x dort! Wo genau wohnst Du?

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 25th April 2010, 12:28 PM
Friend

Hi Christian and welcome to FADU. For landscapes and seascapes I think you have chosen a great place to live. I understand exactly what you mean when you describe analogue photography.

They once asked an airline pilot why he regretted moving from the old Britannia turbo propeller aircraft with manual controls when he had to move to more automated jets with "fly by wire" controls.

He said: " Because with the Britannia you actually have to fly the plane and you know it is you at the controls"

I think this sums up the feeling for most traditional photographers. When you look at a negative or print you can say:"I made this" in a way you cannot with the other system.

Mike
Old 25th April 2010, 02:12 PM
Friend

Default Thank you

Many thanks for the warm welcome to all of you

The following is directed @Mono (apologies to all those who don't speak German).

Willkommen aus Deutschland (sprichst Du noch Deutsch?)
Wo genau wohnst Du?[/QUOTE]

Man vergisst seine Heimatsprache doch nie, wird aber vielleicht ein bisschen in der Aussprache rastig.
Ich wohne in der Nähe von Nethy Bridge im Cairngorm National Park, stamme original aus Wedel, einem Vorort von Hamburg.

Christian
Old 25th April 2010, 03:38 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the forum Christian.

Hoping to see some of your work in the future.

Bill
Old 25th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Friend

I could have welcomed Christian in English, but thought he would like being reminded of his native country.

So, welcome to FADU, Christian ;-)

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 25th April 2010, 04:47 PM
Friend

Folker if he ever visits West and North Aberdeenshire and listens to some older guys in pubs then he might well recognise a dialect that owes a lot to low German, such as the word "your" pronounced as "ihr". Brother pronounced as "Breeder" "Mann" meaning husband. Nobody there ever refers to a husband as husband except when talking to the English : Cow pronounced "Kuh". Eight as "acht" etc, one as "een", six as "sachs".

Of course it is a spoken dialect only so I have had to write the words as they are spoken.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies