Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2013, 05:42 PM
Friend

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum, ask away.

Ian
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:53 PM
Friend

hello Sarah and welcome to FADU.
You say your conditions will be a long way from textbooks...that shouldn't worry you but, yes, textbooks! I would recommend you to immediately get a good book on B&W photography. There are probably many, one which I favor is "Way Beyond Monochrome" and it's often referred to here on fadu.
Peter
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:58 PM
Friend

Welcome Sarah

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:38 PM
Friend

Hello Sarah and welcome to the forum.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th January 2013, 08:54 PM
Friend

hello

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBray View Post
Hey Sarah, where are you located? I have loads of bits and bobs spare that may be of use to you.
Thanks Ed for your generosity - it also prompted me to set my location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
I would recommend you to immediately get a good book on B&W photography. There are probably many, one which I favor is "Way Beyond Monochrome" and it's often referred to here on fadu.
Peter
Cheers Peter - I've been browsing books that cover b and w technique as well as prcessing and looking on Amazon. I've just checked it out on Amazon and it looks like quite a weighty tome. I was a little usnure about the word 'advanced' in the title as well.... One to look at in a real life bookstore.

thanks again folks

Sarah
Old 24th January 2013, 09:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBray View Post
Hey Sarah, where are you located? I have loads of bits and bobs spare that may be of use to you.
Hi Ed

I've just come back from the darkroom board where I posted a question about some bits of kit I have gathered together and also had a kind offer of some bits and bobs there. As I dont wish to be greedy, and just say yes to everthing, should I PM you with the bits and bobs I have already ?

many thanks

Sarah
Old 25th January 2013, 09:25 AM
Friend

Sarah, I have a spare copyof Tim Rudman's "The Photographers Master Printing Course" which I think is the most informative, clear and and relevent book I have seen on printing. If you would like it you can have it for the cost of postage. Just send me a PM with your address.

Tony
Old 25th January 2013, 11:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
Hi Ed

I've just come back from the darkroom board where I posted a question about some bits of kit I have gathered together and also had a kind offer of some bits and bobs there. As I dont wish to be greedy, and just say yes to everthing, should I PM you with the bits and bobs I have already ?

many thanks

Sarah
Yes, that would be a good idea, can you also give me some idea of your darkroom interests, colour, black & white, lith etc.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:01 PM
Friend

Default FREE PDF version of 'Way beyond monochrome' available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
There are probably many, one which I favor is "Way Beyond Monochrome" and it's often referred to here on fadu.
Peter
Yes, I too would highly recommend this book and having bought it myself, I can tell you, YES, it is indeed quite a tome!

BUT it cover's just about anything you will need to ask and it covers everything for the beginner right through to the very well advanced.

Best bit though, is that it is available at quite a few sites as a PDF for FREE = type into google etc 'Way beyond monochrome PDF' and it'll come up. Here's the first link that it offers:

http://lightinspired.deviantart.com/...2011-259347478

I have downloaded it to print bits out etc but I have also bought it as I still much prefer the feel of a good book in the lap to read.

Terry S
Old 26th January 2013, 07:33 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Also a welcome from me and offer of another book for the price of the postage - Larry Bartlett's Black&White Photographic Printing Workshop.
This book has numerous examples of how to get from the negative to the expressive and atmospheric print by a newspaper D/R printer who brought out the best in negatives maybe not taken under the most ideal of conditions.

I had a lovely time ransacking people's darkrooms as they fled to digital; take full advantage of offers!
Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies