Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Thanks Peter, I'll run some tests when I can.
Old 26th February 2009, 07:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Would you be interested in the formula for 'Perceptol'? I got it from a bloke who worked in Ilford's Woodman Road, Brentwood factory when it was being closed and all the gear was being given away to photo colleges or thrown away and workers lost their jobs.
Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.5 gms
Metol 5.0 gms
Sodium Sulphite anhyd.100.0 gms
Sodium Chloride 30.0 gms
water to 1 Litre
I suppose the Sodium Tripolyphosphate could be left out if SOFT or DISTILLED water is used.
There was a replenisher available for Perceptol which has long been discontinued. Kodak have also discontinued their replenisher for Microdol-X. I oftened wondered about the replenisher formula.
This alleged `Perceptol` formula is known as "Edgar Hyman`s Microdol Substitute" and is featured in "Modern Photographic Processing" (Volume 1) by Grant Haist.
Also mentioned is an agent that prevents dichroic fog although the actual component is not named in Kodak`s MSDS.

Last edited by Ag-Bromide; 26th February 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 27th February 2009, 07:28 PM
Friend

I have never seen the the Kodak equivalent of perceptol, Microdol-X, on sale anywhere in the UK. Why is that? Is it considered exactly the same or is there some other reason?
Old 27th February 2009, 08:23 PM
Friend

Rob Not sure if your question is purely academic curiosity but I see that MORCO still sell Technidol. This seems to have been designed for Kodak Tech Pan but as that is largely gone then presumably Technidol is good for other films where fine grain is the aim, otherwise why would MORCO bother?

Anyway just a thought

Mike
Old 27th February 2009, 08:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Rob Not sure if your question is purely academic curiosity but I see that MORCO still sell Technidol. This seems to have been designed for Kodak Tech Pan but as that is largely gone then presumably Technidol is good for other films where fine grain is the aim, otherwise why would MORCO bother?

Anyway just a thought

Mike
Because techpan was a high contrast film which was not designed for pictorial use. Technidol tames the contrast. i.e. it is a low contrast developer and can be used to develop other higher contrast films for pictorial use. At least that's what I think.

p.s. and more importantly why would kodak continue to make it. There must be demand for it.

Last edited by Argentum; 27th February 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:05 PM
Friend

Kodak Microdol-X is available from Retrophotographic to make 1 litre of stock solution. I didn`t see the U.S. Gallon size packages on their site.
I don`t see what Kodak Technidol which is a different type of developer has to do with this thread.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag-Bromide View Post
I don`t see what Kodak Technidol which is a different type of developer has to do with this thread.
absolutely nothing but the question was asked
Old 27th February 2009, 10:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Kodak Microdol-X is available from Retrophotographic to make 1 litre of stock solution. I didn`t see the U.S. Gallon size packages on their site.
Have you tried Microdol-X ?
Old 27th February 2009, 11:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
It was me who originally introduced Technidol and the answer as to its relevance would certainly appear to be nothing. I was simply unaware if Technidol was in any way similar to Microdol( the "blurb" made it sound similar in terms of grain, although I did appreciate Technidol had the added quality of taming high contrast films such as Tech Pan) and I threw it in just in case it had an application when Microdol X didn't appear to be available in the U.K. This has now similarly been revealed to be untrue as Retro has it and that's useful info.

It's always a dilemma when throwing things in. It can hinder a thread even when offered for the best of motives or it can spark responses that may be helpful.

Equally in this case it may have failed on both counts and served only to puzzle or even annoy which was not my intention.

Mike
Old 28th February 2009, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
Have you tried Microdol-X ?
Yes and it`s very similar to Perceptol. The MSDS that I have for Microdol-X show the ingredients as Elon, Sodium Sulphite, Sodium Chloride and Diboron-Trioxide (anhydrous boric acid). This isn`t mentioned in the current MSDS. The grain might possibly be a bit finer with the Kodak developer.
I have a 5 litre size package in a tin can and a 1 litre size. I also have Perceptol, although my own personal favourite developer for general use is Kodak D-76.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_GB
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies