Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2014, 01:42 AM
Friend

Default Habe die Ehre, pleased to meet you

<preface>
I have tried a short "Hi all" message, but...
Sorry
</preface>

Hello,

after one or maybe even two years reading the messages on this board (and a few others), I finally decided to join FADU. Sooner or later I hope to qualify for the print exchange, not so much in the means of reaching the post count, but referring to confidence in my own skills and showing the results...

Some background: My first step into photography was basically being pushed into cold water somewhen in the late 80s. After two hours introduction to camera, film and darkroom I worked for a small local newspaper (before that being a writer only). Which worked out for about ten years. And while "good enough" and "fast" have been the main keywords, there was always encouragement for doing unusual stuff. Of course we all jumped on the digital bandwagon, but after a year collecting pixels I quit photography, sold everything; also changed the job.

About four years ago I took up a camera again. An asthmatic Canon AE-1 program, playing and snapping happily away. All done on colour film, easy, fast, just testing. After a year I switched to Canon EF (the serious one, not the EOS) and a Spotmatic II, full power into buying too many things I never actually used. And producing too many mediocre prints as well. Switched to b&w film, found a photo group with a dusty, but perfectly working darkroom.

Finally bought a rangefinder, switched from RC to fibre based paper, adjusted my darkroom workflow. Mind you, I am no technician or an arcane adept, trying to master age-old secrets. 135 b&w film, a rangefinder with 50mm lens, the universal Diafine, a nice, neutral, not too big fibre paper, a lot of time being "out there" and some time being in the darkroom is all I need to have fun and to burn and refresh myself.

I really enjoy the local photo group here, almost all with digital equipment, doesn't matter at all. There is nothing too witty there. And now the next step is made, trying to have a broder conversation and feedback, based on the only language I know besides German (and Bavarian).

Recently, I have started to scan my prints. That should make the exchange aside from the postal way much easier. I have upload a few examples today (work in progress...).

Well, that should be enough to give you something to chew on.
And last but not least a big thank you to the founders, the staff and the members of FADU. As said, I was reading the various posts at least weekly the past months/years, a great source without being too big, overwhelming. Maybe I can give something back.

Martin
Old 5th January 2014, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu Martin and thanks for your comments.
Old 5th January 2014, 12:44 PM
Friend

Welcome Martin

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th January 2014, 01:58 PM
Friend

Welcome Martin. You are lucky to have found a club that still has a darkroom. Unfortunately a lot of clubs that have moved to digital no longer have a darkroom.

I hope you continue to enjoy our forum.

Mike
Old 5th January 2014, 02:07 PM
Friend

Hi Martin and welcome to Fadu, I far prefer Rangefinder's Slr's,for 35mm I have both Folders and non folder fixed lens rangefinders/viewfinder cameras and 2 interchangeable lens rangefinders, (A Werra with the set of 35 and 100 and my latest, a Agfa Ambi sillete with 35,and 90 extra lenses)
Richard
Old 5th January 2014, 02:17 PM
Friend

Willkommen Martin!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 5th January 2014, 04:08 PM
Friend

And welcome from me too. How I wish I had the command of writing German that you do of English.
Old 5th January 2014, 05:10 PM
Friend

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum
Old 5th January 2014, 07:02 PM
Friend

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

And indeed, it hasn't been easy to find a local photo group with matching interests, mutual chemistry (pun intended), not forgetting an affordable membership fee *and* having a darkroom. Some were already store rooms, others were reshaped into small studios.
It might not be easy because of the location within a sort of restricted access industrial area, but maybe I can add it to the localdarkroom-initiative of Ilford/Harman soon.

Werra: Ah, that's a masterpiece of the 50s & 60s. I am not at all fan of the GDR-hype of the past years in regards of cameras and lenses, but the Werra in all the incarnations is a gem. I had one for a weekend, a Werra matic, and it was a joy. A bit fiddly at first, but it has an astounding modern design and all those neat features, knobs and twists.. Sounds absurd, but I especially liked the shutter release button. It had really a perfect pressure point.
I wasn't aware of it till recently, but Dresden has a long history of photographic industry, the starting point was at the end of 1839.

And John, thank you for your kind words. It's work in progress And I have always admired the tolerance, even forgiveness of native English speakers towards learners. Well, all my English teachers should be happy now, finally...
Old 5th January 2014, 07:34 PM
Friend

Hello again Martin. From what I've seen, your work already "qualifies" to take part in the print exchange rounds. Myself and I'm certain many more Fadu members would be delighted to receive one of your prints.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies