Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th December 2019, 09:04 PM
Friend

Default Van Dyke paper storage?

I'm just starting having fun with Alternative Processes...

Can you sensitise Van Dyke paper and store the paper for future use.... or is one meant to make up the solution, store it in a brown plastic bottle and coat the paper as and when it is required?
Old 13th December 2019, 06:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkroomTed View Post
I'm just starting having fun with Alternative Processes...

Can you sensitise Van Dyke paper and store the paper for future use.... or is one meant to make up the solution, store it in a brown plastic bottle and coat the paper as and when it is required?

When I was making Van Dykes I always coated the paper then carried out the process when the coating had dried. In theory I suspect you can coat and store for future use, but I have not heard of this being done.

It is worth remembering when you coat a paper for an alternative process, especially with a brush, the brush marks form part of the creative / visual / artistic process. I try to brush the coating on in a way that siuts the subject. In fact brush / coating marks can become your mark.

Have a look at some good books and see how this is done, it really is all part of the image.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th December 2019, 07:57 PM
Friend

Ted, forgive me if you've already done this; but I had a look through Christopher James's chapter on the process and he says nothing at all about how soon after coating the paper should be exposed. That would suggest that he doesn't consider it an issue.

Van Dyke isn't a process I have tried: my cyanotype coated paper can be kept for a bit but it has the useful feature of discolouring after a while!
Old 14th December 2019, 08:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Ted, forgive me if you've already done this; but I had a look through Christopher James's chapter on the process and he says nothing at all about how soon after coating the paper should be exposed. That would suggest that he doesn't consider it an issue.

Van Dyke isn't a process I have tried: my cyanotype coated paper can be kept for a bit but it has the useful feature of discolouring after a while!

You have to wait a short while for the coating to dry, or you can use a hairdryer set on low, but it dries pretty quickly. Otherwise your neg would stick to the coating - best to avoid!

The Chris James book is a very good book to have but quite expensive these days even used.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 14th December 2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 14th December 2019, 09:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

You have to wait a short while for the coating to dry, or you can use a hairdryer set on low, but it dries pretty quickly. Otherwise your neg would stick to the coating - best to avoid!

The Chris James book is a very good book to have but quite expensive these days even used.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th February 2020, 11:58 PM
Friend

I would use it straight after it has dried 100%
You want to try double coating the paper and letting the paper dry inbetween, i would avoid a hairdryer as i have heard this affects the Dmax
Remember vandyke solution has silver nitrate in it so probably safer to use a red darkroom light as opposed to a tungsten one
Old 11th February 2020, 08:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I would use it straight after it has dried 100%
You want to try double coating the paper and letting the paper dry inbetween, i would avoid a hairdryer as i have heard this affects the Dmax
Remember vandyke solution has silver nitrate in it so probably safer to use a red darkroom light as opposed to a tungsten one

When I've been a bit pushed I have used a hairdrier but set on low and kept at a distance - no problems with it affecting my Van Dykes.

Double coating is worth doing and that's what I normally do. You also get the very pleasing effect of the two coats overlapping themselves on the edges.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th February 2020, 11:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
When I've been a bit pushed I have used a hairdrier but set on low and kept at a distance - no problems with it affecting my Van Dykes.

Double coating is worth doing and that's what I normally do. You also get the very pleasing effect of the two coats overlapping themselves on the edges.

Neil.
I read recently that a single thicker coating works better than 2 coats
I will have to give that a try
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies