Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Darkroom Accessories Manuals

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2018, 07:46 PM
Friend

Default Jobo/Lici colour star 6300

Hi.
Can anyone give me any information/literature on these.
Thanks Fintan
Old 30th April 2018, 11:09 AM
Friend

Fintan, I tried a quick search on Google and while there were and probably will be 6300s for sale in the future I couldn't find any info - not even on another analogue section of another site called Photrio.

The pictures of the Lici suggest its basic operating principle is similar to the 2000 and 3000 but this is speculation on my part. If it is any help there are a couple of threads on the 2000 v 3000 on Photrio but they may not explain matters in the way you need.

It might help if you can be any more specific i.e. do you have one and need a manual or simply are considering one and need info on it?

Mike
Old 30th April 2018, 02:34 PM
Friend

Default jobo colorstar 3000

Only found this http://www.trippingthroughthedark.co...000-Manual.pdf
Old 30th April 2018, 08:06 PM
Friend

Well done Norm. It would have taken an internet illiterate like me about a 100 years to find this kind of stuff. I hope it is what Fintan needs or is close enough

Mike
Old 30th April 2018, 08:24 PM
Friend

Thanks for replies.
I have one that came with a lplc7700 enlarger.
A question I have is, if I only need to develop black and white, do I switch the yellow lever to white, I’m then guessing it doesn’t pass the light through the colour filters.
I will take a couple of pics of the exposure meter and post them here, I’m not sure how it works.
Fintan
Old 30th April 2018, 08:40 PM
Friend

You may well have thought of this yourself, Fintan but if no-one here has a manual and the 6300 is sufficiently different from the 3000 such that the 3000 manual is pretty useless then it might be worth watching for another e-bay sale and asking the seller for a copy of the manual.

It's real nuisance when you have the equipment and no manual and I imagine that the Lici 6300 is too complicated to be fathomed out by intuition. Certainly the 3000 needs a manual.

Mike
Old 30th April 2018, 10:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakey View Post
Thanks for replies.

I have one that came with a lplc7700 enlarger.

A question I have is, if I only need to develop black and white, do I switch the yellow lever to white, I’m then guessing it doesn’t pass the light through the colour filters.

I will take a couple of pics of the exposure meter and post them here, I’m not sure how it works.

Fintan

If this is the switch on the enlarger, then the answer is yes, if you are using fixed-grade B&W papers. If you are using Multigrade, or variable-contrast paper, as it’s also known, you can make use of the built-in colour filters for contrast control. Packs of Ilford Multigrade paper come with an instruction leaflet that has details of which filters to use to achieve a particular contrast grade. The built-in filters are a handy alternative to a separate set of Multigrade filters. If you’re doing B&W, you probably don’t need an enlarger exposure meter, just a timer. You can use the white light lever to remove the filters for focusing, then switch them in for the actual exposure.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th April 2018, 11:03 PM
Friend

I should also have said that you only use yellow and magenta filters, not cyan for B&W. There are different filter standards, but the Ilford leaflet has a chart which tells you the type fitted to particular brands of enlarger. Assuming you are going to use Multigrade paper, you should start by setting your filters for grade 2.5, as this is the middle of the range. You can then increase the value for subsequent prints if the results are lacking in contrast, or decrease if they are too contrasty for your liking. I’m not familiar with the Jobo Lici device, but it may be possible to use it as a basic timer. Enlarger exposure times can be worked out quite easily by making test strips consisting of a series of exposures on one sheet at, for example, 2,4,6,8 and 10 seconds. You then pick the one that looks best and expose a full print at that time. I hope this helps, and apologies if you are already familiar with this procedure!
Alex.

Old 1st May 2018, 04:47 PM
Friend

Thanks Alex.
That’s some good info.
Was looking at papers and got confused, so many different types, what would you reccomend as a starting paper.
I can use the analyser as just an exposure timer so I will start with that and the test strips and see where that takes me.
Ta
Fintan
Old 1st May 2018, 07:31 PM
Friend

Hi Fintan.
I would suggest starting with a resin coated (RC) Multigrade paper. RC papers are quick and easy to use. They lie flat on the easel, and dry flat. They only need 2minutes washing in running water. They also develop in 60-90 secs which is about half the time of fibre based papers. 7x5 is a good size and is quite economical. Test strips can be smaller than a full sheet to save money. Ideally, a box of 100 sheets lets you practice without the worry of running out. Surface finish is a matter of personal taste. Ilford Multigrade IV is the reliable standard for this type of paper, but Kentmere and Foma make quality RC papers as well. You’ll need paper developer, stop bath and fixer. Again, Ilford can supply all of them, although there are options. I use a big print squeegee to remove excess water after washing, but it’s not strictly necessary. Prints can be pegged up, stood up in a rack, or blasted with hot air to dry. Once you can make a good print on this type of paper, you can try the more expensive fibre based types, although many people stick with the convenience of RC papers. Let us know how it goes!
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies