Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2020, 06:57 PM
Friend

A few years ago I developed a film, I think FP3, for a friend which must have been exposed over thirty years previously and they came out fairly well.

Tony
Old 27th February 2021, 02:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Updating my first post on 07 September 2020, about the latent image on Kentmere fine lustre RC photographic paper.

I have developed over a period of time a few of the test strips made on the date above. Overall there was not much difference between them and the original one developed on the first day.

On Monday 02 November 2020, which is about 2 months after the strips were exposed and one strip developed, I developed one more of the test strips.

In good light the image on the paper has finally disappeared. The only visible markings are the gaps between the test strips. Based on grey scale tints, I would estimate them to be about 05% grey / black.

Terry S
Okay, here is the latest update on the Kentmere RC paper that was exposed to light under an enlarger, without a negative, back on 07 September 2020.

On Saturday 20 February 2021, I developed one more of the above strips of paper and there is NO visible tones on it at all, even after leaving it for a couple of extra minutes than normal in the developer (i.e. 3 minutes rather than 1 minute.)

I know this gives us a 4 month window between tests (= 02 November 2020 to 20 February 2021) but it seems that light exposed areas of photographic paper (or at least on the Kentmere RC) that I exposed, months ago, do actually disappear over time.

I have one more strip of paper left, so during the next printing session, I will expose it to a negative and see if there is definitely no 'pre-flash' exposure still in the paper, by carefully looking at the highlight areas.

It might even make us look at sellers on ebay, who unknowingly expose darkroom papers for sale, in a different light. (No pun intended )

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 27th February 2021 at 03:03 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies