Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th October 2010, 07:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Never heard a thing from fotospeed, so I have given up on getting any help from them, if I need help with fotospeed products in future I will ask here,shame though as their products are very good, now I have licked the FD10 it is one of the best developers and now my dev of choice, and their wt20 paper is again one of the best wt developers I have used, and I have tried all over the years, good job we have got Larry, our resident fotospeed expert,Richard
Thanks Richard, at least others here now know that they may have a problem in receiving any customer support should they run into any difficulties with their products; which is a great shame.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:39 AM
Friend

I've received poor customer service on a few occasions from Fotospeed but put it down to a fluke. It is interesting to read that others have also experienced problems. I wonder if darkroom products are no longer a particular focus for the company.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
I've received poor customer service on a few occasions from Fotospeed but put it down to a fluke. It is interesting to read that others have also experienced problems. I wonder if darkroom products are no longer a particular focus for the company.
I think that you are probably correct regarding their shift in focus, something common to many companies, but it doesn't excuse poor support.
Old 6th June 2021, 01:43 PM
Friend

Default Help, please- Fotospeed FD-10 and Fomapan 200

Dear all, I have read this post from beginning to end. I am just about to start processing my b&w films for the first time in years. So, I thought, let's be a little adventurous and try something different - having read this thread, I am now regretting my decision not to stay mainstream (at least to begin with) but the film and chemicals are ordered . Anyway, to cut a long story short, can anyone give me a clue as to a starting point (developing times wise) for the above combination. I also have some HP5 on the way and note the comments in respect of that but also roll of Bergger Pancro 400 and suspect I will have the same problem there. Very grateful in advance.

Last edited by Barry; 6th June 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 7th June 2021, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Can't really help directly but bear in mind this thread is 11 years old so things have probably changed. Saying that, a quick search only shows one entry in the Massive Dev Chart for this combination (for 6mins at 22 degrees C for some reason): https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchar...=C&TimeUnits=D .

You can either do a clip test of the first few frames from the roll (you will of course end up chopping one frame in half and using up a tank of developer - the diluted developer would probably not be reusable as processing the clip would probably have oxidised it too much) and adjust for the rest of the roll accordingly, or take a punt on the whole roll using the MDC time/temp - or accept defeat and use a more common developer with more data available for your films (sorry)...

Last edited by Bob; 7th June 2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 8th June 2021, 12:15 PM
Friend

I'm constantly amazed when REALLY old threads pop up again, but I have been known to resurrect a few myself.

As Bob says, times and developers etc. can all change some what, in time, as in this case, 11 years.

Good luck with your developing Rob, which ever film and developer combination you decided to try. As you say, I too think I would have started with a standard combination for my first go in ages. Maybe the second or third film I might have strayed from the path though...

Do let us know how it all goes

Terry S
Old 10th June 2021, 02:02 PM
Friend

Default Thank you both

Thank you Bob, Terry. I really appreciate the input. And thank you for the reference to the MDC. For some reason I completely missed the combination when I searched last time. If one uses the calculator on the site 6 mins at 22 = 7 mins 19 sec at 20. When I look at the suggested times on the Fotospeed manufacturers leaflet for the films that are listed, 7 mins and a bit looks at least consistent(ish) with other similar speed films. I think I'll regard my first film as a work in progress and try 8 mins at 20 for a bit more contrast. Thanks for giving me the confidence to have a go and see what happens. I must be getting less risk averse as I age I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10th September 2021, 12:08 PM
Friend

Default Not bad...and thank you

Thanks again for the help and encouragement, really appreciated. I developed my first film, Fomapan 200 (£4 a roll) in FD10, taken on an Olympus Trip. I went for 7' 03" at 20C, exactly as per Big Dev iPad app. I did a contact sheet, images looked a bit flat for my liking (I'll add some contrast when printing) but perfectly acceptable. I developed my second film yesterday, exactly the same process as above except taken on an F3 this time; same successful outcome, very pleased. The film is a bit grainy (imho) especially when the contrast is upped so it doesn't suit all subjects, but it happens to be a look that I like (contrasty/gritty). Next time I am going to develop for longer (not sure how much yet) for more contrast at the developing stage as mentioned on the film's datasheet.
Old 2nd July 2022, 02:51 PM
Friend

I note that the developing time for HP5+ and FD10 is still given as 7 mins in the MDC and this reflects the 7 mins that Fotospeed quotes. However this was the time that Richard Gould reported as woefully short which was backed up by Larry who seemed to be the one who used this developer most and had a lot of faith in it. Unfortunately we haven't seen Larry for a good number of years

Still a bit worrying that Fotospeed itself never seemed to clear up the issue of 7 mins for HP5+

My renewed interest in FD10 developer was excited earlier today when I was idly looking through the Imaging Warehouse site and spotted FD10 so it is presumably still made.

What caught my eye was its remarkably cheap price compared to a lot of others. So if it keeps as Larry says it does decanted into smaller bottle and is good for all films and delivers box speed then it has a lot going for it except for the unease I feel over its customer service and its time for HP5+

Mike
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

What caught my eye was its remarkably cheap price compared to a lot of others. So if it keeps as Larry says it does decanted into smaller bottle and is good for all films and delivers box speed then it has a lot going for it except for the unease I feel over its customer service and its time for HP5+

Mike
I need to add a post script here. I have just looked at another post by Tom Kershaw on "Fotospeed Price Increases" and realised the increase in FS prices. However if anyone has an interest in FD10 and does not want the 5L size there is the 1L at The Imaging Warehouse for £14.99 which makes it a few pound cheaper than Fotospeed's new price for IL

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies