Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th July 2017, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
What method is used to empty the wine, or beer bottles?🙃
Alex
Excellent point Alex. One must inhale and savour the nose of the wine, then a tiny slurp and swish over the tongue, holding the pinky finger just so.

The question of varietal is also essential to this matter.

Old 14th July 2017, 05:41 PM
Friend

Nice one, SvendN

Mike
Old 2nd August 2017, 07:11 PM
Friend

Hi kidder Jem, I use glass marbles from pound store. Just add more to keep the level in the bottle topped up!
Regards, Hughes
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:26 AM
Friend

A word of encouragement for the collapsible bottle they work very well. They are a better quality than they used to be.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:47 AM
Friend

I've recently adopted the idea of using wine/beer bottles with Vacuvin rubber stoppers and vacuum pump. I'm sure this system has been discussed on the forum before, but it really does seem to be working well to keep solutions in good condition, even in half empty bottles. I can actually see air bubbles rising up out of the liquid as I remove the air from the bottle.
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:28 PM
Friend

Well, I've been using 250ml glass bottles to keep my Xtol, they have bakolite lids with a washer seal.
I find then very convenient, 250ml stock is concentrated I suppose so tip that in with 250ml of water and thats 500ml of dev for an average small tank, it just saves that load of measuring out and milliliter counting that you'd do with a one shot.
Course, you still have to get the big bucket out, mix and fill the bottles in the first place but, I think its worth considering how you do your souping, the tank capacities and all that.
For instance, I use system 4 tanks, a 500 and a 1500, so its one bottle for the 500 or 3 for the 1500....simplez
Using an entire 250ml bottle for one 120 means that that bottle will never be exposed to air apart from when it was filled, it works good for Xtol, its not gonna work for everything obviously.

Last edited by JohnX; 3rd August 2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 6th August 2017, 04:48 PM
Friend

Not sure if that's been mentioned before: I'm using Tetenal Protectan spray. For example, Xtol stock keeps fine in a 5 litre canister for several months even when there's only a litre of dev left in there. Been using it since the 90's and never bothered with any other method. I simply top up all bottles at the end of the day.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:44 PM
Friend

I use 'Butane Gas' bought in Poundland for £ 1 -00 much CHEAPER than the Tetenal. It is a 'refill' -- I have to use some small needle nose pliers to pull on the red plastic tube though to get some out into bottles. I also use it to squirt some into Sodium Hydroxide container as it is 'Hydroscopic' and absorbs water vapour if I don't.
Old 13th November 2017, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I used to use argon to sit on the developer but that got awkward to find when B&Q stopped stocking it (it's used in welding). You can still get argon/CO2 mix easily but that is not suitable for this purpose. You can probably still get argon only from proper welding suppliers, but it just became too much hassle.

I recently bought some of the 500ml and 1l spout bags and am just popping upstars to mix up some ID11 so I'll see how that goes...

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 13th November 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12th May 2018, 10:56 AM
Friend

Can I use this Butane gas? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newport-300.../dp/B00GMPC8IY
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies