Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Okay, I'm just about getting my head around this new (to me anyway) camera mounting system, that I only first heard about yesterday. And I've finally thought of a time when it might be useful, so I've ordered the cheapest two possible units off of ebay, which came to just under £10 for the two items. And as usual on ebay, there are LOADS of sellers selling the EXACT same thing, with prices from about £5 right up to £25 = and all for EXACTLY the same item!!!

Collas, now I know what I've bought is a cheaper made item, but how do these cheapie cheap items compare to the one that you bought at over £200, for what I can make out is only one part of the system? I know that there's going to be a big difference in quality, but the difference in price is quite high! Thoughts?

Terry S
Me I would get the £25 one, everyone knows ishoot, and they aren't bad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iShoot-Impr.../dp/B01CG3E9BE

Review here

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/ishoot...-review.96235/

It is adjustable but to me that is way oa lot, I would like to put a £15 next to it and see what the extra £200 gets you ?

Pre owned well under, even offer £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arca-Swis...wAAOSwBi5d0AdS

Adjustable £20

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A7M3-A7R3...AAAOSwhvpd15Po

Last edited by Anon01; 24th November 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 25th November 2019, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks Terry.

I have an older Manfrotto QR - the hexagonal one - for my larger tripod. I got it 'cos the others did not seem strong enough for a 4x5 camera (or heavy 6x6 even). Had I seen that comparison video before, I may well have gone with the smaller Manfrotto one featured there instead of the Arca style for my lighter tripod
Old 25th November 2019, 09:03 PM
Friend

bob all things made by manfrotto is of the highest standards ,so when buying cheaper copy's I think we can only assess them when we use them .what worries me about the acra swiss copy is how good the clamp is when I put the L bracket on my camera and the locking plate on my tripod ,then do the clamp up ,I hope that its made strong enough to hold the clamp tight and not come loose and ruin a expensive camera .I have two tripods with manfrotto hexagonal quick realise plates , and a monopod with manfrotto RC2 quick realise plate ,and as you can see you can fit one to the other.. I have ordered a L bracket with RC2 fitting so I will let you know if its any good ..here are the two images Click image for larger version

Name:	61JPtlQ1pGL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	3549

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012 (2).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	3550
Old 26th November 2019, 07:48 AM
Banned

What you have to remember is that no matter how less the quality of the Chinese ones they are not rubbish, you also STILL have a 12 month UK guarantee, and thinking about it you could buy 50 for one of the others, even if one just lasted a year (unlikely, I have many such products 5 years on) after 10 years they would have only cost you £40 at one a year

Remember in the 80s when everyone said "I will never buy Japanese rubbish" !!!!!!

Old 1st December 2019, 04:46 PM
Friend

I received the new L bracket and have used it ,and like it ..as I was worried about the fitting to the tripod plate ,this L bracket will fit to a manfrotto RC2 quick realise plate ,and that makes for a more reliable grip ,the only problem there is with this L bracket is it wont fit my Nikon F5 as its not long enough ,but for medium format 645 cameras its great .Pentax 645 users Click image for larger version

Views:	372
ID:	3556need not apply . :-)…..
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I received the new L bracket and have used it ,and like it ..as I was worried about the fitting to the tripod plate ,this L bracket will fit to a manfrotto RC2 quick realise plate ,and that makes for a more reliable grip ,the only problem there is with this L bracket is it wont fit my Nikon F5 as its not long enough ,but for medium format 645 cameras its great .Pentax 645 users Attachment 3556need not apply . :-)…..

cost ?

Old 5th December 2019, 11:08 PM
Friend

another Christmas present.. I bought this L bracket second hand and it fits my 35mm cameras lovely its a Manfrotto and it has the RC-2 fitting and its well over engendered as is most Manfrotto stuff ,the cheaper acra swiss quick realise copy was a bit worrying as it was no way as strong as Manfrotto... the cheap copy RC-2 fitting L bracket is a bit stronger and will fit in to the Manfrotto RC-2 plate and feels quite strong ,I cannot see anything better than the RC-2 for 35mm and medium format cameras .I haven't tried the RC-2 plates with my large format cameras yet .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	3564

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	3565

Views:	185
ID:	3566
Old 6th December 2019, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Nice. You can see at a glance that the quality is far superior, although the off-brand one looks solid enough - a pity it does not have as much adjustability (that's not even a word! ).
Old 6th December 2019, 11:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
...a pity it does not have as much adjustability (that's not even a word! ).
Just checked and actually it is Bob!

You're smarter than you realize! Lol ��

Terry S
Old 7th December 2019, 01:05 AM
Administrator

So it is! I just checked the OED:

The fact or quality of being adjustable; the extent to which something may be adjusted.

Quotations:
1849 Astronomische Nachrichten No. 666. 276 Mr. Walker prefers..adjustability of one of the sockets of the pivots, especially for the operations of the Coast Survey.

1889 Home Missionary (N.Y.) June 46 A pastor..who has a moderate amount of adjustability to men and things.

1934 H. Nicolson Curzon i. 10 He could not always avail himself of the detachment, the adjustability, the unworldliness, the absence of class-consciousness, the unassuming dignity of the complete aristocrat.

1947 K. Tarbuck in Wayfarers' Jrnl. No. 8. 52 The practical advantages of the Tarbuck knot lie in its adjustability.

1991 Bicycle Guide Sept. 30/2 The trade-off with short rails is reduced adjustability.

2007 L. M. Chiappe Glorified Dinosaurs ii. 128/1 The restricted adjustability of Archaeopteryx's tail surface circumscribed its maneuvering ability during flight.

Not sure what that Pastor was up to to in 1889 though... And Mr. Tarbuck is getting a bit above himself there - naming a knot after himself.

The origins of a word in print are often a good read in the OED

My spellchecker still does not like it tho. I shall send it back to the manufactory forthwith, accompanied by a stiff letter and instructions to have one of their boys make the necessary adjustments.

Last edited by Bob; 7th December 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies