Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th May 2020, 02:34 PM
Friend

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/1645
Old 17th May 2020, 02:41 PM
Friend

Thanks Colin!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th May 2020, 03:45 PM
Friend

Wow, Alex. Worked out very well, a stunning image!
Frank
Old 17th May 2020, 04:37 PM
Friend

Thanks Frank! I must try it again. I was a bit disappointed with the very straightforward outcome from the IR film, compared to previous ones I had tried. I was looking for a different sort of outcome for this strange castle which was dismantled and moved from an island in the Loch.
Alex

Old 18th May 2020, 02:46 AM
Friend

Hi Alex

If you want to go a slightly different, analog route you might want to check out Denise Ross's work on Tri-colour negatives here

http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...ntent=Journal3

You have to scroll down a little to get to it. It's obviously a bit more labour intensive and maybe not what you were intending. Here's another brief article and again you have to scroll down a bit.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-...u-need-to-know

I think there used to be a French website devoted to the tricolour process but I can't seem to find it.

All the best
Dave
Old 18th May 2020, 07:25 AM
Friend

Thanks Dave. That sounds very interesting. I will have a look at it today. I have plenty of time at the moment, so new ideas are always welcome.
Alex

Old 18th May 2020, 04:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hodson View Post
Hi Alex

If you want to go a slightly different, analog route you might want to check out Denise Ross's work on Tri-colour negatives here

http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...ntent=Journal3

Dave
Dave, If I have understood the Tri-colour process as it is described in the link is essentially a hybrid one. I saw a similar thread in Photrio and there the process was in the main analogue but even there the author admitted that some hybrid work in PS was required at the start. The real snag was that the final result took about 8 hours to be produced

I have yet to see anyone describe an attempt in a wholly darkroom analogue process so much so I wonder if it is even possible and if so is an equally good rendition possible?

Mike
Old 18th May 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,
Tricolour dates back to the early days of photograpy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Prokudin-Gorsky

I suspect there must be a means to do this non-digitally, but it may come down to just how much hard graft and technical ability you have.
https://darkside.photography/tricolour/

Anyone fancy a go whie were all stuck home?
Old 18th May 2020, 05:30 PM
Friend

I have a copy of Photographs for the Tzar which includes the colour pictures Colin has mentioned. The book is very good. The artists story is also very interesting. The colour pictures bring the landscape and people of early 20th Century Russia to life. Although some of the pictures are blurry, that was an effect of the lens, and camera movements, rather than the intention of the photographer. There is some colour fringing evident in some of the images in the book.
Alex

Old 18th May 2020, 07:05 PM
Friend

Thanks Skellum. I read your second link full of hope that the full process would be laid out in steps to reach the final outcome but it suddenly seem to stop with the still life end result only

Does the actual process follow in future editions of the darkside chronicles so to speak?

I had gathered that movement of any kind is taboo but that still gives reasonable scope such as still life, be that the usual stuff or static objects such as cars etc or architecture. Even grass in landscape might be possible if the blades of grass are too far away to pick up its movement or the likes of a newly-mown lawn and with a modern medium format and gel filters plus holder a portrait might be possible with no movement if the model can hold his or her pose for only a second or so

Whitby without boats and wavy grass might have been OK as well.

I needed to read a bit more closely The link clearly does indicate that it is to be continued. I await this with interest

Mike

Last edited by Mike O'Pray; 18th May 2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: post not finished
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies