Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd September 2009, 09:55 PM
Friend

Default ICON publications

Yesterday I attended the first night of the new club season and borrowed a couple of copies of FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHER from 2001 which a member had brought in. This magazine came from the stable of ICON publications in Kelso. They have, over the years produced some really good quality photo mags aimed at the advanced amateur and professional but their titles changed so frequently it was hard to keep up. I particularly recall buying several issues of PHOTON Magazine.

Anyway, the joy of reading these two mags was that the emphasis was very much on film. It was such a delight once again seeing whole page glossy adverts for Velvia and Provia as well as reviews of Berrger papers and the new Mamiya 645 etc. There was also an article on photographing children as a freelance with no mention of the possibility of being lynched! The editorial was intelligent and well written.

This reminded me of how much I used to enjoy some photo magazines!

Les
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:46 AM
Friend

Les, that's an interesting look back to 2001 which after all isn't that many years ago. I do remember 'Photon' and used o buy it ocasionally.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd September 2009, 08:52 AM
Friend

Interesting post Les. David Kilpatrick, the owner of Icon Publications gave me my first chance to write for his magazines, Photo Pro and Photon, and taught me a lot about photography and writing. I owe David a lot for his help and guidance in those early days. David has a huge depth of knowledge about photography and, IMO, expresses it clearly, is not afraid to speak his mind and deserves much more success with his publications than he has ever had.
many thanks for posting Les,
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
David has a huge depth of knowledge about photography and, IMO, expresses it clearly, is not afraid to speak his mind and deserves much more success with his publications than he has ever had.
Hear hear. Photon in its various guises was always a good read and much more in-depth than competing magazines. It's a shame it never achieved the success it deserved, although it did contribute greatly to the success of the original StopClock and was the means by which Les and I met - the rest being history of course . David was one of the earliest digivangelists though, realising that it was the future and embracing the Internet from its very early days, and I doubt very much if there'd be much traditional content in the magazine now! I still have a complete set of David's "Creative Photography" mag from the 80s, another excellent but shortlived publication.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:50 AM
Friend

I can only echo both Les and Richard's sentiments with regard to Photon and Photon Pro. They were excellent magazines and as already said, deserved a much stronger position in the market place.

I will always be grateful to David Kilpatrick for publishing my portfolio which resulted in my getting sponsorship from Odyssey-Sales to help promote Rodenstock lenses. I still have and use a 35mm Apo-Grandagon which they kindly gave me Appropriate really for David was an avid fan of wide angle photography.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:57 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=RH Designs;15961] David was one of the earliest digivangelists though, realising that it was the future and embracing the Internet from its very early days, and I doubt very much if there'd be much traditional content in the magazine now!

I'd quite forgotten that David embraced digital in the very early days, in fact his was the very first internet magazine to be published with a colour image of mine as the cover shot. Before I'm excommunicated or worse for daring to mention digital here, I hasten to add it was shot on negative film and printed in my own darkroom by my own hand
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies