Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2010, 07:58 AM
Friend

Default Ferric toner doubt

I have been lately split toning thiourea then blue. After many test, results satisfacy me a lot.

I know that sepia tonning extends durability. I know that ferric tonning affect adversely durability.

My doubt is: If I use first bleach and thiourea, halides are transformer. After I use blue toner and dark tones turn blue. But I donīt know why turn blue, because if I sumerge copy in sodium sulfite solution, (f.e.), blue dissapears, however sepia donīt dissapear.
If copy is first sepia tonnig and then blue, is affect durability just us if I only used blue toning in a copy???

Than you! Regards,

Ruben
Old 30th June 2010, 12:28 PM
Friend

Hi Ruben,

Yes, the durability, or archival stability of a print is affected by the least archival toner used in its processing.

In fact, the blue toner can be redeveloped back to metallic silver using print developer, this can be done selectively by applying the developer to chosen areas with a brush, or completely by immersing the print in developer. This can be a useful tool, as the redeveloped silver can be toned again. If you use the same toner, the results can often be quite different due to various "chemical memory" effects.

If you want a durable, archivally stable blue tone, try using a warm tone paper and gold toner. The overall effect the gold toner will have will depend on whether you use it before or after the sepia toning stage.

If you sepia tone first, followed by the gold toner, the sepia toned areas will generally change colour. Depending on paper, and toner this can give reds, pinks, or orange colourations. If you tone with the gold first (time this stage carefully, as it can be difficult during toning to tell exactly how far into the midtones/highlights the gold has gone), then with the sepia toner, the sepia tones will be more like normal.

I would recommend getting hold of Tim Rudman's excellent book "The Master Photographers Toning Book", which is just about as definitive a guide to toning techniques possible. Don't bother with Amazon, or other online booksellers, as Tim is arranging a reprint of the book, which is expected to sell at the original price of Ģ25. See this thread.

Steve

Last edited by SteveA; 30th June 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 30th June 2010, 10:47 PM
Friend

Thank you Steve for information. Paper I use is always Ilford WT. Next toning will be gold. Precisaly, yesterday I inscribed in Tim Rudman list for this book. I hope to have it! Thanks you!

Regards,

Ruben
Old 30th June 2010, 11:11 PM
Friend

Ruben While you will not have long to wait for Tim's book and it is in my opinion the best book on toning, you might learn quite a lot from the Tony Worobiec book called Toning and Hand Colouring Photographs. Secondhand versions are available from Amazon, Alllibris books etc at very good prices .

Tony's book is not in any way a substitute for Tim's book but is a worthwhile addition to your library on the subject of toning.

Mike
Old 5th July 2010, 07:41 AM
Friend

Ok, Mike, thank you very much for this information.

Ruben
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies