Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2019, 10:31 AM
Friend

Me too please, think paring up is the better option all round
and a 3 monthly programe seems about right too.
but will go with what ever is decided.

I can print from 35mm to 6 by 9 on 120.

bobrob.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:47 AM
Friend

I’m interested, and would give it a try.
I can do 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 4x5
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:06 AM
Friend

I did it and enjoyed it before, so put my name down again!

I can do up to 6 x 6 at the moment.

Terry S
Old 14th October 2021, 03:58 PM
Friend

I am interested too. I can use 35mm and 6x6 and of course 4.5x6.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A202F mit Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2021, 04:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
I am interested too. I can use 35mm and 6x6 and of course 4.5x6
It's a bit of an old thread Uwe, but if it was started up again, I'd still be interested in joining in.

Terry S
Old 15th October 2021, 12:35 PM
Friend

I'd be interested in this. I did this in another group many years ago and was lucky enough to get paired up the great Les MacLean. I learnt an awful lot in a short time!
Old 15th October 2021, 03:36 PM
Friend

Sorry, I was in holidays an read FADU from the smartphone. It was slightly confusing for me, so I answered here not recognizing the age of the thread.
Old 19th October 2021, 08:56 PM
Friend

It seems the idea of a negative exchange will not die.
However, we don't ever quite get this off the ground.
If people are really interested (and the mods are happy) then I would suggest the following.

1. Negative exchanges run 6 times per year.
  2. Interested parties post in a thread which announces the next round, and PM the organiser with the following information- Name, postal address and formats they are willing/able to print.
  3. On the closing date the organiser pairs participants.
  4. Participants are notified by PM of who their print partner is, and what formats they can accept.
  5. Each participant has a maximum of ONE MONTH to send a negative to their print partner.
  6. The negative should be sent with an accompanying print of that negative by the author. The print should be contained in a sealed envelope, which the receiving photographer can open after printing their own version. This allows the receiving photographer to compare and contrast with their own version.
  7. Participants have a maximum of ONE MONTH to print from the negative they are sent, and should enclose a copy when returning the negative.
    8. There were questions asked about 'cropping' images. The printer will have complete autonomy to print any way they see fit, but should not intentionally cause any physical damage to the negative entrusted to them.
    9. A gallery will be created for each Round of the exchange, and posting the images produced will be expected as a natural conclusion to the process.
Points to consider:
Things go wrong sometimes: Post goes astray, negatives get scratched, other mishaps befall us. We can reasonable assume no photographer would be careless with someone else's negative but no blame will attach to any participant in the event of loss or damage. Don't send a negative you would be upset at losing.
I think 2 months should work, as it gives time to take and print a negative and print the one you receive. However, some members might choose to participate in both Print and Negative exchanges, so perhaps quarterly (4 per year) would be less onerous and encourage participation. In that event I'd suggest a maximum of ONE MONTH to send, not more that TWO MONTHS to print and return.
My retirement hasn't quite worked as planned, but I could certainly make the time to act as organiser/co-ordinator for this.
Mod approval vital as a negative exchange has the potential to cause unhappiness. I have twice sent negatives to individuals who were neither able to reciprocate nor return my negative.
As with the print exchange, should this become established practice the aim would be to mix up participants over different rounds to allow variety.

Several members who posted earlier in this thread are now no longer active. If there are new expressions of interest here I will raise a new thread to clean things up and consult the moderators on their feelings about initiating a new Negative exchange.
Old 20th October 2021, 07:17 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote from Skellum's post above. "It seems the idea of a negative exchange will not die. However, we don't ever quite get this off the ground."

With a bit of searching you will find that this did take place and Skellum was one of the ones who took part in at least Round 4 http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/1580 as did Terry S (Rounds 2,3 and 4) and Rob Archer (Round 1).

Just a little bit of historical perspective on this. After a bit of discussion as above this exchange did happen but only ran for 4 rounds before it died due to lack of interest. If you read all the discussion the main area of concern seemed to be loss or damage to negatives but as far as I know there were no problems in that regard.

The results can be seen in the Exchange Gallery if you scroll right to the bottom beyond all the Print Exchange section.

If people are interested in resurrecting this it would effectively be Round 5.

We would need a volunteer to do the organising of the exchange and as Skellum has made the suggestion on rules would he be willing to take the task on?

The initial exchange was organised by Steve O and his rules can be found here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...light=exchange

This would be a good basis if it is decided to run again.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 20th October 2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 20th October 2021, 12:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
We would need a volunteer to do the organising of the exchange and as Skellum has made the suggestion on rules would he be willing to take the task on?

Bill
Well, not meaning to push a person into anything, I believe that Skellum has volunteered in his post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
My retirement hasn't quite worked as planned, but I could certainly make the time to act as organiser/co-ordinator for this.

If there are new expressions of interest here I will raise a new thread to clean things up and consult the moderators on their feelings about initiating a new Negative exchange.
As I've already mentioned, I would definitely be interested in joining in again with a neg swap round or three. I found it interesting to see how two people print the same negative.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies