Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2010, 11:05 AM
Friend

Default Ilford Multigrade Head Setup

I have been reading the manual of the Ilford 500H Head and they advise that when first setting up and when changing a bulb, that a couple of tests are performed to determine 1. which lamp is the brightest and 2. where the program switch setting should be set.

I tend to set up equipment as per the instructions, so I will do this when I get the chance, but I was wondering if people here do this and if so does it make any significant difference to operation.

Neil
Old 18th February 2010, 12:03 PM
Friend

When I first got involved with the 500H I used to fiddle with the program switch but in the end I decided not to bother as I found the difference between bulbs (even with a new and old fitted) was negligible. I would set the switch as recommended and start off with two new bulbs and take it from there.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th February 2010, 12:42 PM
Friend

I bought mine S/H from Odyssey and it came set on 4. I've fiddled with it at times but have left in on 4.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 18th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Friend

It has been a long time since I was clued up on what this program switch actually is used for. However, I have vague recall that it would be handy in a commercial lab if a bulb was to fail say half way through doing a run of 100 of the same print. Getting back to same bulb balance as was before would in these circumstances save a lot of time.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th February 2010, 02:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
It has been a long time since I was clued up on what this program switch actually is used for. However, I have vague recall that it would be handy in a commercial lab if a bulb was to fail say half way through doing a run of 100 of the same print. Getting back to same bulb balance as was before would in these circumstances save a lot of time.

Neil.
Neil, that happened to me a while back. I was wondering why the print looked like a grade 3+ when it should have been grade 2. I soon realised the green lamp was burning dim so I simply replaced the lamp.

This is what my MG manual says of the program switch;

1 balanced lamps (normal setting)
2 increase green light by 10%
3 increase green light by 20%
4 increase green light by 30%
5 increase green light by 40%

It goes on to say, "1. If the density is high at the low contrast end, interchange the lamps and proceed to 2 as necessary.

2. If the density is low at the low contrast end, optimum balance and density over the contrast range can be obtained by selecting a higher number in the range 2-5 on the program switch".
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 18th February 2010, 03:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Neil, that happened to me a while back. I was wondering why the print looked like a grade 3+ when it should have been grade 2. I soon realised the green lamp was burning dim so I simply replaced the lamp.

This is what my MG manual says of the program switch;

1 balanced lamps (normal setting)
2 increase green light by 10%
3 increase green light by 20%
4 increase green light by 30%
5 increase green light by 40%

It goes on to say, "1. If the density is high at the low contrast end, interchange the lamps and proceed to 2 as necessary.

2. If the density is low at the low contrast end, optimum balance and density over the contrast range can be obtained by selecting a higher number in the range 2-5 on the program switch".

Trevor, yes it would be very noticeable if you were doing a run of the same and a lamp goes on the blink. I have my switch set to 1 and I just leave it there now, but of course I am only doing one or two prints and no long runs. Interesting to know though that all this is built into the kit.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies